Pegging the question: Should men be more open to exploring anal play?

In 2017 Sex Issue
(Photo illustration by Katie Albertson / Daily Titan)

We’re more than halfway through 2017 and the reign of anal-interest hasn’t let up. The popularity of butts doesn’t seem to be going away, nor should it. Not only does that mean sexual navigators shouldn’t hesitate to explore the anus; straight men specifically shouldn’t hesitate to pleasure their prostate.

Amidst a sexual age in which the idea of pure procreation has largely desisted, the focus on pleasure has accelerated astronomically.

So are straight men still afraid of pegging?

For the most part, they aren’t shying away from anal sex. A study conducted by the United States Center for Disease Control from 2006-2008 showed that 44 percent of men between the ages of 15 to 44 have engaged in anal sex with an opposite-sex partner at least once.

So if men aren’t afraid of putting their penis in a woman’s anus, what’s stopping them from having the pleasure reciprocated?

While anal penetration might sound off-putting to men, anal pleasure shouldn’t be just for women and gay men.

In recent years, pegging, the act of a female penetrating their male partner with a strap-on dildo, has been thrown into the mainstream.

Coined in 2001 by sex columnist Dan Savage, pegging’s popularity has been on the rise.

In the Comedy Central show “Broad City,” one of the main characters Abbi is handed a strap-on when she suggests to her partner that they switch things up. Hesitant at first, Abbi calls her best friend Ilana for advice. After a brief pep talk, Abbi decides to go for it, much to the delight of her partner.

Scenes like this are key for normalizing the act and lowering judgement. No sex should be taboo.

Although women may not receive physical pleasure from the act, their pleasure comes from giving it to their partner. Some women are attracted to it because it’s a role reversal. Men get to experience the sensation of being penetrated while women finally feel the power of being the penetrator.

But when it comes down to it, some men simply don’t have the desire and no one should ever be pressured or coerced into sex.

To those who are interested, don’t feel judged. Straight men engaging in prostate pleasure is nothing new.

As long as it’s consensual and legal, nothing about sex should make someone feel ashamed.

So the next time she asks you to bend over, don’t be afraid to open up.

CSUF baseball dropped the first game of the NCAA Fullerton Super Regional to Washington 8-5 Friday at Goodwin Field.