Column: Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty brings diversity and inclusion to the makeup industry

In Arts & Entertainment, Fashion, Lifestyle, Reviews
(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan)

How often do you find yourself at a makeup store struggling to find a foundation that actually matches your skin tone? Well Rihanna’s got you covered with her new makeup line Fenty Beauty. The line dropped Friday and has been all the rave since she teased the collection last week with a sneak peek video alongside several Instagram posts hinting which products were going to be included.

A launch party was held Thursday night in New York City. A crowd of loyal fans waited outside of a Sephora store for the doors to open at midnight. Rihanna went live in New York City on her Instagram for the rest of her fans to see as they all waited until midnight for the line to drop on fentybeauty.com.

They were not disappointed.

The line has been praised for its diversity and inclusivity. Forty different foundation shades were released along with six highlighters, more than 30 skin sticks, one lip gloss, blotting paper, brushes, a primer and more. Rihanna was determined to include so many shades after noticing a “void” in the makeup industry concerning its inclusion of products for all skin tones and types.

“I wanted to make sure that all women of all skin tones were covered so they could be included in what I created,” Rihanna said on fentybeauty.com.

Rihanna is no stranger to exclusion. Not only is she a woman, but she is a woman of color who comes from the poor island of Barbados. She came to the U.S. as a teenager and managed to flourish while staying true to her roots. Due to her marginalized background, she is able to understand the struggles women face, especial to fill the voidly black women, and is using her platform to not only be a voice for those women, but to allow them to gain inclusion in this country.

Women’s empowerment appears to be the theme Rihanna is trying to evoke through her brand. She wants all women to not only feel included, but to also feel beautiful and powerful.

Fans across the globe highly anticipated the release of Fenty Beauty, and I was one of them. I went on the website at 12:07 a.m. I was informed that there were 30,082 users ahead of me and my estimated wait time was 25 minutes.

YouTube makeup artists went wild over the line, and many were quick to share their thoughts on their channels the very next day. Women of color were most pleased by the line since they suffer from a lack of inclusion in the makeup industry. Most foundation lines only carry a few dark shades.

“My friend never finds her shades in other foundations, apart from MAC. She snapchatted and she said ‘I see my shade.’ That’s how girls want to feel,” said Nigerian and Irish Youtuber Ms Deb Deb.

I made sure to try the line out for myself. I was surprised to see that Sephora was fully stocked with all the products on Friday because I expected it to be sold out.

The foundation has medium-to-full coverage, and it’s hard to find the right shade that fits because there are just so many. It’s a super light, long-wear foundation. It blends really well and dries quickly.

The primer is very smooth, creamy and hydrating and aims to minimize pores while leaving a smooth finish. You can wear it with or without makeup.

The highlighters are extremely pigmented and can be seen from across the room. They truly allow users to shine bright like diamonds. Thanks Rihanna. Everyone’s favorite highlighter seems to be “Trophy Wife,” including Riri who wore it to the launch party.

The Gloss Bomb lip gloss is amazing and stays on for a long time. The thing I love the most about it is it’s not sticky. It leaves lips looking glossy and plump.

“I made it because I wanted the girls to get kissed more,” Rihanna said on fentybeauty.com.

The Fenty Beauty website serves as a guide for users and includes many features such as video tutorials, detailed descriptions of the products, notes on what inspired Rihanna to make the products and various photos of her wearing them at different events. Some products are labeled as “Rihanna’s fave” to let fans know which products she likes most.

Everything can be purchased at fentybeauty.com as well as sephora.com and participating Sephora locations around the world.

Rihanna slays every day, so if there’s anything that can help us look remotely close to her, we’re all on board.  

CSUF men’s basketball optimistic about chances in Wooden Legacy Tournament

Heading into the Wooden Legacy tournament at Cal State Fullerton this Thanksgiving, Titans Head Coach Dedrique Taylor will be