CSUF groups came together to discuss Milo Yiannopoulos with students

Students for Quality Education and Movimiento Estudiantil [email protected] de Aztlán de CSUF (M.E.Ch.A.) gathered in the Quad to encourage conversations about issues facing students in the campus community.

“We’re just trying to raise awareness for the issues on campus to start the conversation. We feel a lot of people are slightly aware of things that happen in the campus community and nationwide, but a lot of people aren’t discussing it,” said SQE member Brittany Goss.

Both organizations wanted to spread awareness of the upcoming Milo Yiannopoulos event and share the potential negative effects of his presence on campus.

M.E.Ch.A. is a political, social and cultural group that encourages higher education and political involvement to promote social change.

“We’re just trying to reach anyone who’s willing to listen (like) students passing to class,” said M.E.Ch.A. representative Adriana Evaristo. “We don’t have a particular aim, one particular group, it’s just all students. We’re trying to reach them.”

SQE members voiced their concerns on several issues including the Trump administration’s decision to end DACA and protecting marginalized communities, but focus remained on the upcoming appearance from Yiannopoulos.

“We want people to understand what’s coming to campus, what is really going on because this is a community,” Goss said. “Whatever side you’re on, for or against Milo coming, you’re going to be affected by it when you walk on campus that day.”

The gathering was a change from SQE’s previous events, with SQE and M.E.Ch.A. members participating in one-on-one conversations with students.

Students who stopped by the event were encouraged to write “Dear ASI” notes. The notes allowed students to voice their concerns to ASI representatives. SQE member Liz Sanchez said they are planning to deliver the handwritten notes at a later date.

“They don’t listen to us, but the message is what’s important. We’ll get as creative as possible to get their attention,” Sanchez said. “We are on the right side of history, and they need to get on it too.”