CSUF women’s soccer takes on Toreros and Lopes in final nonconference games

In Fall Sports, Sports

Following a 3-2 loss to Denver Monday, Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer will host the University of San Diego for a chance to redeem a winning streak going into conference play.

The Titans are at the top of the Big West Conference standings and aiming to stay there. CSUF ranks above both UC Irvine and Long Beach State in the Big West.

Not only do the Titans lead in standings, but they also lead in points per game (5.11) and scoring offense (1.89).

San Diego is a familiar contender for the Titans despite being a nonconference opponent. In the 2016-2017 season the Titans lost to San Diego 1-0.

The Toreros currently hold a 1-7-0 record and recently faced UC Irvine and Long Beach State, losing to both opponents.

Aside from team overall record and rankings, the Titans are making strides as individual players.

Sophomore Atlanta Primus has scored five goals in pre-conference play thus far, the second-most goals in the Big West Conference. She follows Amanda Ball of UC Santa Barbara who’s racked up eight goals so far.

This isn’t Primus’ first time with conference recognition. Last year, Primus was appointed to the Big West Conference All-Freshman team after scoring her first and only goal for the season.  

This time last season, the Titans stood 3-7 overall. Now standing with a 5-2-2 record, CSUF women’s soccer is headed in the right direction.  

CSUF will match the Toreros Friday at 7:30 p.m. followed by their final nonconference match against Grand Canyon University Sunday.