Students should utilize weight lifting for health benefits

(Andrew Lopez / Daily Titan file photo)

People oftentimes fail to find a healthy form of therapy when it comes to managing day-to-day stress, but one thing that could help tremendously is exercising — specifically, weightlifting.

For some people, a type of cardio-based training is the only option when it comes to stress relief. While this is not necessarily a bad option, people should know that good, old-fashioned weight training and conditioning is seriously worth looking into for stress relief and fitness.

Weight training has its perks, and not all of them are physical. Like many forms of physical activity, weight lifting can do wonders for people’s overall mental health.

There is a powerful psychological factor in weightlifting that can boost self-confidence. Just the mere thought of putting time into the gym and working on self-improvement should be enough for one to adopt this lifestyle.

It is a process that revolves around consistency and it feels great when healthy results show in one’s body and mind.

Physical health is one thing, and mental health is another. It is a tricky thing to sort out, but weight training is a meditative process that offers benefits.

Weight training, as well as any exercise, kick starts the production of the brain’s feel-good neurotransmitters called endorphins, according to Mayo Clinic.

Furthermore, weight training can also be seen as a form of meditation. Being focused on body movements can make it easier to forget about the daily tensions that might be causing unnecessary stress.

CSUF biology major Nathalie Carrillo sees weightlifting as a relaxing activity that helps lower stress levels.

“Usually when I do a weightlifting exercise, I really have to focus on my breathing. So that right there helps me relax,” Carrillo said. “That’s really alleviating, especially when I exhale. So when I lift up the weight I exhale and then I inhale, and that has given me a lot of control in my breathing.”

Weight training also lowers symptoms related to anxiety and depression and can help people sleep better at night. For college students, it’s safe to say that a couple more hours of sleep wouldn’t hurt.

Along with the relaxation that follows weight training, people can feel a better sense of command over their mind and body in the long run.

Business major Eterna Atalig said that weightlifting helps her zone out and keeps her mind free.

“Weightlifting helps me alleviate stress by causing me to not think about stressful things outside of working out,” Atalig said. “It helps me focus on a goal such as weightlifting and what my goals are in exercising. So it just helps me keep my mind off anything that’s stressful.”

Weight training has its perks. In fact, weightlifters better themselves physically and mentally. Quite frankly, what more could one ask for?

If people could fall in love with this form of strength training as a stress reliever, then only positive outcomes can be the result as people grow and improve their overall health.

CSUF men’s basketball optimistic about chances in Wooden Legacy Tournament

Heading into the Wooden Legacy tournament at Cal State Fullerton this Thanksgiving, Titans Head Coach Dedrique Taylor will be