Worst Pickup Lines of Cal State Fullerton

In 2017 Sex Issue

“Are you from Tennessee? Because you’re the only 10 I see,” is a common pickup line we’ve all heard at least once.

Some of us have even used them on occasion. But are they actually effective? Are they still popular? What are some of the worst, and some of the best?

When two people are attracted to each other, either party might try to break the ice with an awkward question or statement, often a pickup line. Vanessa Van Edwards author of “Captivate: The Science of Succeeding with People,” suggests that pickup lines are meant to initiate a conversation. As an icebreaker, pickup lines can serve as a reflection of the the individual’s personality or a point of interest to those on the receiving end.

“I think (pickup lines) work in the sense of making it less awkward. It’s breaking the ice. That’s all it is,” said CSUF student Brandon Remedios. He also said he jokingly used the line “Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?” on his current girlfriend.

Humor has always been known as an attractive quality, creating the perfect dynamic when using a clever pickup line.

“You can tell if somebody is just naturally funny. I think that’s attractive,” said CSUF student Jonathan Damon.

Furthermore, pickup lines can also have a positive effect when courting an individual, especially if they are witty.

“I actually like the cheesy ones,” said CSUF student Ashley Fazio. “I think a sense of humor is a good quality.”

Also, most pickup lines are used by individuals who are keen on getting to know someone.  

“It shows a sign of interest, and I think that’s cool,” said CSUF ROTC member Hunter Alonzo.

However, pickup lines are also seen as an indicator of insincerity, especially when the comments are vulgar.

“I can tell if you’re not being yourself,” Damon said.

Additionally, Fazio said that she is more willing to give a guy her phone number if the pickup line is amusing rather than obscene.

Although he’s never used pickup lines, Alonzo said that he has heard the worst one.

“If you were a booger, I’d pick you first,” Alonzo said.