18th annual Violence Prevention Conference at CSUF raises awareness of domestic violence

In News
(Anita Huor / Daily Titan)

Students and faculty learned about the prevalence of domestic violence during the 18th annual Violence Prevention Conference, hosted by the WoMen’s and Adult Reentry Center Friday in the Titan Student Union.

“The one thing I hope they take away from this is that we all do have a role in this. Even if we haven’t been personally affected, we all have a role in the culture we share,” said CSUF Assistant Professor of sociology Devon Thacker Thomas, Ph.D., the conference’s keynote speaker.

During Domestic Violence Awareness Month, “The Role of Culture in Power and Control: Shared Experiences of Violence,” conference, focused on how power and control plays a part in various cultures, through shared survivors’ stories.

Thacker Thomas’ workshop, called “It’s About Time: Dismantling the Global Culture of Violence,” examined how society reinforces the ongoing culture of violence and how different experiences of violence can be recognized as a shared experience.

During the workshop, participants filled out a form asking “What Composes Rape Culture?” that depicted a mostly submerged iceberg to show there are aspects of rape culture that are invisible.

There was also a screening of “Breaking Silence,” a documentary that focused on those impacted by sexual assault and domestic violence in the Muslim-American community. Women in the film called for a need to hold perpetrators accountable and talked about how to help survivors.

After the film, a panel of experts — including a survivor featured in the film — spoke about power and control and held a Q&A session.

Workshops were also available for participants to learn how to protect themselves and provide resources to survivors, the history of sexual violence and identity domestic violence situations.

Attendees had the opportunity to attend the workshop “I Know What You Are Doing and I Know Where You Are: Using Technology and Social Media to Track, Coerce and Control” presented by Detective Michael McCaskill of the Fullerton Police Department’s Family Crimes Unit.

During his session, McCaskill covered how power and control can result in an abusive relationship and showed examples through case studies. He also advised the audience to turn off locations on their accounts and photos when posting on social media, to limit who has access to them.

“It’s so common, especially with CSUF students, for us to run into people who become victims from things that have happened on social media,” McCaskill said. “Coming out here and educating people … Saves our agency time and a lot of grief and a lot of hardship for people.”

Those in need of help can reach out to the following campus resources:
WoMen’s and Adult Reentry Center
Campus Confidential Advocate Magdalena Diaz
Email: [email protected]
Main Line: 657-278-3928
Direct Line: 657-278-5243
Counseling & Psychological Services Students Only
Phone: 657-278-3040
Website: http://www.fullerton.edu/caps/

Guests hug each other at the memorial service for Augie Garrido on Nov. 9.

CSUF honors the Titans baseball head coach Augie Garrido

CSUF baseball players, coaches, alumni and members of the CSUF athletic department commemorated the life of Augie Garrido, a

CSUF volleyball middle blocker Summer Kerins celebrates senior night with her family and head coach Ashley Preston when the Titans faced the Cal Baptist Lancers.

CSUF volleyball salvages one set against Cal Baptist on senior night

CSUF volleyball dropped its final home match of the season 3-1 to Cal Baptist University on Tuesday night, giving

The ‘Mayans M.C.’ takes ‘Sons of Anarchy’ to a new level

The “Mayans M.C.” season finale gave fans an answer to the season’s biggest mystery, but brings more unanswered questions