ASI appoints two new directors for the College of Education

In Campus News, Local News, News

The Associated Students, Inc. Board of Directors unanimously voted to appoint Jesus Hidalgo and Daniel Vasquez as the new directors for the College of Education Tuesday.

“We chose these two candidates because they are very talented and experienced leaders, and they are passionate for the College of Education,” said ASI Board chair Nicholas Jakel.

Hidalgo is a fourth-year music education major. He currently serves as president of the Clarinet Consort and is a member of the National Association for Music Education.

“I thought this was a good opportunity to do more collaboration with all the different educations, me coming from an art background,” Hidalgo said.

The other newly-appointed director, Vasquez, is a fourth-year history major with a minor in public relations and is one of the re-founding fathers of the Sigma Pi fraternity where he has served several leadership roles.

“Some of my goals coming into the College of Education is to increase transparency. I just really want to serve as a great liaison to communicate with the assistant dean of the college, along with other faculty and the different students,” Vasquez said.

Vasquez has also served as an orientation leader at CSUF and recently joined the College of Education-Interclub Council.

“I want to show all the students what they can get involved with,” Vasquez said. “I want to make sure that they’re aware of all the different scholarship opportunities, of all the different ways to get involved on campus and all the resources to utilize here at Cal State Fullerton.”

The board also heard presentations from multiple on-campus entities and college reports.

Dean of Students Hallie Hunt gave a presentation in which she addressed a number of important topics affecting students including, the Las Vegas tragedy and Canyon Fire 2.

“Counseling and Psychological Services is providing emergency drop-in appointments for anybody who was there (in Las Vegas) through Friday,” Hunt said. “There is a survivors group that is being pulled together through CAPS again, so if people want to connect with others who were there, this is an opportunity for them to do that.”

Hunt also encouraged students who were impacted by Canyon Fire 2 to call her office if they need any accommodations, whether it be for health issues or evacuation needs.

Hunt addressed Milo Yiannopoulos’ appearance on Oct. 31 and the Unity Block Party being hosted by Students for Quality Education on that same day.

“Know that safety is our number one priority, University Police is working with outside police agencies to make sure that the campus is covered and to make sure that we’re safe. If this event is raising something within you that you feel like you need to make a stand or say something about it … I think you should go to the Unity Block Party,” Hunt said, citing the inclusive, diverse rhetoric the block party will be focused around.

Also discussed at the meeting:

• Marie Johnson, dean of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, told the board a new course is being developed for first-semester students called “Think like Einstein.”
  • The College of Humanities directors announced the resolution to denounce Yiannopoulos had been completed and a resolution recognizing Indigenous Peoples’ Day is currently in the works.  
  • Reports from the Titan Tusk Force, the Arts Inter-Club Council, the Business Inter-Club Council and the National Pan-Hellenic Council highlighted their goals, funding status and events.
  • FAFSA is now open for applications, and winter registration begins Oct.18.

Press X to Join: Anti-consumer practices are plaguing the gaming industry

‘Tis the season of big game releases – what should be a time of joy and excitement will be

CSUF’s ‘Punk Rock’ production dives into the teenage mind

Whether it be after the powerful strike of an unsettling truth or the deafening ricochet of a gunshot, CSUF’s

CSUF College Republicans respond to ASI’s denouncement of Milo Yiannopoulos

The CSUF College Republicans club put out a press release Monday in response to the Associated Students, Inc. Board