ASI is offering scholarships for CSUF students

(Hannah Miller / Daily Titan)

The deadline to apply for Associated Students, Inc. scholarships is quickly approaching.

Only around 60 applications have been received as of last week, with about 14 to 16 having been finalized, said ASI Vice President Andrew La. With the application deadline set for Oct. 9, he said they are expecting that number to grow by the end of the week.

“College students like to procrastinate and so they don’t usually get started until a couple of days before the due date,” La said.

There are six different scholarships offered every semester and two offered exclusively during the fall. Seven of these are worth $1,000, but the Titan Shops Free Book Rental scholarship will offer recipients free book rentals for the spring semester.

Although the application period for ASI scholarships has been open since the beginning of the semester, students like communications major Christian Magana did not know about it until recently.

“The financial help would definitely be a big benefit for me because I am a part of a middle-class family, so we make too much to get a lot of financial aid,” Magana said. “Applying for the ASI scholarships will allow me to have some financial relief.”

Magana said he will not be filing his application until he’s done with midterms, but for some students like junior broadcast journalism major Jared Adams, midterm timing will keep them from applying altogether.

“I’ve got five classes which means five midterms, and I don’t want to be writing a paper or doing something for a scholarship when I have to be studying,” Adams said.

At this time, ASI scholarships are only available for continuing students. Freshmen will be eligible to apply for scholarships when they are in their second semester at CSUF.

La encourages students to apply for multiple scholarships if they meet the requirements.

Students can apply for ASI scholarships at through the ASI website.