Canyon Fire 2 expected to be contained by Tuesday

In Local News, News, State News, Top Stories

The Anaheim Fire & Rescue Department is expecting to have Canyon Fire 2 fully contained by Tuesday, Oct. 17.

The fire has spread across 9,217 acres but is currently 90 percent contained, according to the final incident update posted on the department’s Twitter account Oct. 15 at 7 p.m.

“While crews saw a few flare-ups and hot spots, the wind created fewer problems than were possible,” read a tweet from Anaheim Fire & Rescue on Oct. 14.

Canyon Fire 2 Public Information Officer Mike Yeun of the Orange County Fire Authority said the Santa Ana winds “decreasing tremendously” Tuesday helped firefighters contain the blaze.

There was also an influx of firefighters from all over Southern California coming to assist. Yeun said there were over 1,600 firefighters tackling Canyon Fire 2 at its peak and as of Sunday, there were still several hundred working to contain it.

“I don’t anticipate any change but as long as things are still going the way they’ve been going, we’re still on target for the 17th,” Yeun said. “Now we’re just cleaning everything up, putting out the hot spots and heading toward 100 percent containment.”

The rugged and steep terrain of Anaheim Hills made it harder to contain the fire, Yeun said. The use of aircrafts dropping water and retardants throughout the week helped get things more under control.

One thousand structures have been threatened by the fire, but only 25 have been destroyed and 55 have been damaged with only four reported injuries, according to the final incident report. The report also stated that “all residential areas have been repopulated.”

“We evacuated over 5,000 homes on Monday. Tuesday, the majority of those homes were repopulated so within 36 hours of the fire starting, we were able to get most of the people back home,” Yeun said. “From the fire activity we’ve seen on Monday, that’s quite a feat.”

Yeun said residents should watch out for potential mudslides and debris flows during the rainy season because the vegetation has been removed and there is not much substance in the soil to keep things intact.

However, Yeun said residents can take precautions to avoid further damages during the seemingly year-round fire season.

“(Citizens) can be firefighters themselves and clear the brush and make sure they don’t use any mechanical devices that could create a spark during red flag warnings,” Yeun said. “We see that, time and time again, those who take their time to clear the brush definitely give them a better chance for their house to have less damages in a fire.”

State Route 241 was closed due to the fire, but some northbound lanes and the State Route 91 connector to Santiago Canyon Road and Chapman Avenue were partially reopened Oct. 13, according to a traffic advisory sent out by the California Department of Transportation.

The state Route 241 southbound off-ramp and northbound on-ramp on Santiago Canyon Road remain closed.

“Although some lanes are open, please drive slowly where traffic lanes are reduced, work crews are visible and fire crews use the facility to access fire-related areas,” the traffic advisory read.