‘Pride of Cal State Fullerton’ Bruce Bowen joins LA Clippers broadcast team

In Sports, Top Stories
(Courtesy of CSUF News)

During his first broadcast of an LA Clippers game over the weekend, former Cal State Fullerton and San Antonio Spurs guard Bruce Bowen was introduced by play-by-play announcer Ralph Lawler as the “the pride of Cal State Fullerton.”

Bowen — who ranks 12th all-time in scoring for the Titans and played 13 seasons in the NBA — now has a fresh platform to continue bringing pride to CSUF in his new role as a game analyst for Fox Sports West’s telecasts of Clippers games.

“It definitely builds awareness (of our program) especially locally in recruiting and our fan base. To have an extremely successful alum promoting the program is very valuable,” said CSUF men’s basketball Head Coach Dedrique Taylor in a Twitter direct message. “I believe there is no price tag you can put on that type of publicity for our university, our athletics department as well as men’s basketball.”

The blue and orange jersey numbered 25 that Bowen wore between 1990 and 1993 now holds distinguished recognition on the Titans men’s basketball record book, after Bowen made several contributions to the team during his time as a Titan.

Bowen started in three of his four seasons with the Titans and made the All-Big West second-team in 1992 before grabbing a first-team all-conference spot in 1993.

Although Bowen still holds a spot in the Titans’ top-10 rankings for all-time career rebounds and blocked shots, his efforts at Titan Gym weren’t enough to get him selected in the 1993 NBA draft.

With his NBA dreams on hold, Bowen found himself testing the waters in the CBA and spending time playing professionally in Europe before breaking through with the Miami Heat in 1996. It wasn’t until 2001 when Bowen signed to the San Antonio Spurs that he was finally able to establish himself at the highest level of basketball.

In nine years with the Spurs, Bowen won three NBA championships and was named to one of the NBA’s All-Defensive teams in eight straight years with the Spurs.

Taylor believes that Bowen’s journey serves as an inspiration for players thinking about committing to Cal State Fullerton.

“He is the ultimate recruiting success story! He made himself into what he has become. He has proven that if you work hard, fight for your dreams, believe in yourself the impossible is possible!” Taylor said in a direct message.

Bowen will return to his alma mater as a guest speaker at the Cal State Fullerton Men’s Basketball Center Court Tip-Off Dinner Nov. 5 at Titan Gym.

CSUF baseball dropped the first game of the NCAA Fullerton Super Regional to Washington 8-5 Friday at Goodwin Field.