Diego Sanchez nets game winner to give CSUF men’s soccer 1-0 victory over Northridge

In Sports, Top Stories
(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan File Photo)

The Titans finally beat the Cal State Northridge Matadors Wednesday night.

After losing to them in the Big West Championship and tying earlier this season, Fullerton shut out CSUN 1-0 on the Matadors’ own field, catapulting CSUF into first place in the Big West southern division.

The Titans needed to find redemption on the field, something midfielder Diego Sanchez accomplished as he quickly gave the Titans a lead in the 14th minute off of an assist from Mark Hernandez.

Sanchez didn’t hold back on shots, attempting to find the back of the net seven minutes later, forcing Matadors’ goalie Henrik Regitnig to save his first shot of the match.

The Titans led the whole way on the scoreboard and in shots, outshooting the Matadors 9-6.

The referees kept their penalty cards off the field in the first half, despite the rivalry leading to physicality between the two teams early in the match.

However, the Matadors were eventually whistled for their aggressiveness in the second half. CSUN forward Davis Moreno-Jaime earned the first and only red card of the match in the 75th minute.

Though not as fired up on the pitch, Fullerton quickly followed with cards, with Corentin Ohlmann and Paul-Andre Guerin earning yellow cards of their own in the 77th and 89th minutes, respectively.

The Matadors fought until the final second hoping to bag one in the net. However, despite the two teams tying in shots on goal (4), CSUN’s efforts weren’t enough to break through Guerin.

The match against the Matadors gave Guerin his sixth win as starting goalkeeper for the Titans and secured his spot on the Big West leaderboards for fewest goals allowed. 

The Titans will play their final conference game when they host the UC Irvine Anteaters Saturday at 7 p.m. as they continue to search for the next big win: A championship title.