Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer seeks redemption against CSUN

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer will have the chance to redeem itself after dropping the 2016 Big West Championship against the CSU Northridge Matadors in its fifth conference game.

The Titans began conference play with a loss on the road to UC Santa Barbara, but bounced back with a win against Cal Poly. In their first two matches on their home field, they suffered a devastating loss against UC Davis. Fullerton came into its third conference match to reclaim its field and crushed Sacramento State 3-1.

Trying to keep the ball rolling, the Titans hope to grab another win against the Matadors to improve their conference standings. CSUF holds six points in conference play, one point ahead of UC Irvine and two points ahead of CSUN.

Fullerton stands with a 7-5-1 overall record and an even 2-2 standing in conference play. The Titans lead the southern division of the Big West Conference. CSUN sports a 6-6-1 record and a 1-2-1 record in its conference play and are placed third.

“We played CSUN last year in the finals, so it’s going to be a big rematch and we are all excited for this game,” said sophomore defender Sam Molz.

The Titans fell 2-1 in double overtime to CSUN with a last-minute goal in the conference championship game. Fullerton offered 13 shots throughout the match with only four on goal while CSUN provided 18 and six on goal.

“We’re going into this game, how we always go into all the games – focused,” said sophomore forward Rei Dorwart.

Fullerton’s Ross McPhie and Northridge’s Emmanuel Usen Jr. are tied in second place for most goals scored this season, each with six. McPhie recorded one goal and two assists in the two games last week, leading the Titans to a victory over Sacramento State.

The Titans will face off against the Matadors in their 43rd match between the two Wednesday Oct. 11 at 7 p.m. at Titan Stadium.

Daniel Cope catching

Daniel Cope’s two-run home run in the seventh inning lifts Cal State Fullerton baseball over Hawaii 6-3

Catcher Daniel Cope crushed two-run home run in the bottom of the seventh inning gave Cal State Fullerton baseball

A map of Orange County highlights where each city stands in regards to the U.S. Department of Justice lawsuit against California's sanctuary city laws.

Orange County cities are divided over the U.S. Department of Justice lawsuit against California for its sanctuary city laws

The U.S. Department of Justice is suing the state of California for its sanctuary city laws that would not

The closing of the CSUF American Language Program could affect Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages concentration

The closure of the 32-year-old American Language Program, ALP, could have an effect on other programs at Cal State