Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer seeks redemption against CSUN

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer will have the chance to redeem itself after dropping the 2016 Big West Championship against the CSU Northridge Matadors in its fifth conference game.

The Titans began conference play with a loss on the road to UC Santa Barbara, but bounced back with a win against Cal Poly. In their first two matches on their home field, they suffered a devastating loss against UC Davis. Fullerton came into its third conference match to reclaim its field and crushed Sacramento State 3-1.

Trying to keep the ball rolling, the Titans hope to grab another win against the Matadors to improve their conference standings. CSUF holds six points in conference play, one point ahead of UC Irvine and two points ahead of CSUN.

Fullerton stands with a 7-5-1 overall record and an even 2-2 standing in conference play. The Titans lead the southern division of the Big West Conference. CSUN sports a 6-6-1 record and a 1-2-1 record in its conference play and are placed third.

“We played CSUN last year in the finals, so it’s going to be a big rematch and we are all excited for this game,” said sophomore defender Sam Molz.

The Titans fell 2-1 in double overtime to CSUN with a last-minute goal in the conference championship game. Fullerton offered 13 shots throughout the match with only four on goal while CSUN provided 18 and six on goal.

“We’re going into this game, how we always go into all the games – focused,” said sophomore forward Rei Dorwart.

Fullerton’s Ross McPhie and Northridge’s Emmanuel Usen Jr. are tied in second place for most goals scored this season, each with six. McPhie recorded one goal and two assists in the two games last week, leading the Titans to a victory over Sacramento State.

The Titans will face off against the Matadors in their 43rd match between the two Wednesday Oct. 11 at 7 p.m. at Titan Stadium.

Search for next CSUF president will begin after other CSU president searches conclude

Framroze Virjee replaced Mildred García as the President of Cal State Fullerton on Jan. 1 after his predecessor was

Technology amplifies unhealthy relationship practices

People love to point fingers, find someone to blame to make themselves feel less guilty and play victim; perhaps

‘Den of Thieves’ takes the heist genre into a new realm

Few in American history have pulled off the perfect heist, like the leader of the “Wild Butch Gang,” Butch