CSUF men’s soccer has rematches against top teams in Big West

(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

After a tough week ending in one draw and one loss, Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer will hit the road again to face the UC Irvine Anteaters before hosting the UC Riverside Highlanders at Titan Stadium.

UC Irvine currently holds the top spot in the southern division despite falling to Cal State Northridge in its most recent match. The Anteaters’ success on the field can be credited to a few individuals who hold top ranks on Irvine’s roster and the Big West leaderboards.

Irvine midfielder Giovanni Godoy sits at number one in the Big West overall with 11 goals this season. Godoy’s shooting range is something the Titans will have to watch out for. Fullerton’s highest scorer, Ross McPhie, sits two spots below Godoy with six goals.

The Anteaters also have the second leading scorer in the conference as midfielder Ivan Canales currently has seven goals.

However, these statistics aren’t something the Titans are too worried about.

“We have to go all out every game from now on if we want to win the south and the Big West tournament,” said Titans midfielder Diego Sanchez.

The Titans met the Highlanders on the field Oct. 14 but fell 2-1, despite doubling the shot attempts taken by Riverside.

The Titans have struggled to finish their shots since the start of the season.

“We are one point away from UCI and CSUN. I think we just have to be the better team,” said Titans forward Samuel Goni. “Every game we have a lot of chances … If we can finish, I think it will be easier for us.”

Despite the Highlanders taking the win against the Titans, raising their conference play record to 2-4 in the Big West play, Riverside still hold third place in the southern division of the Big West.

“We have to go in thinking they’re the best team in the conference and we have to finish our chances,” Sanchez said.

The Titans caught a glimpse of the Highlanders’ playing style. Although the team doesn’t plan on changing its focus, Fullerton will use its previous encounter with Riverside to prepare as the two meet again Saturday.

“I don’t think it changes our style,” said Titans midfielder and team captain Nicolo D’Amato. “We just look to keep improving our game and not worry about other people’s.”

Fullerton will travel to Irvine to take on the Anteaters Wednesday at 7 p.m., followed by a rematch against the Highlanders at Titan Stadium Saturday.

A spread of fresh vegetables: strawberries, peppers, carrots, cilantro, and an apple.

Devil’s Advocate: Significant change begins with vegetarianism

Maintaining a vegetarian diet is better for the environment, people’s health and a more ethical way to live, even

The empty lot of city land that could be the potential new home for the Pathways of Hope Keystone Project.

Pathways of Hope proposes Keystone project to city council to reduce homelessness in OC

Pathways of Hope, a local nonprofit organization, has created the Keystone project in an effort to combat homelessness specifically

Joanne Ferchland-Parella one of three finalists for associate vice president position

Joanne Ferchland-Parella is one of three finalists for the open position of associate vice president for University Advancement —