CSUF men’s soccer loses Big West home opener 2-1 against UC Davis

In Sports, Top Stories
(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer wasn’t able protect Titan Stadium in its first home game of conference play, falling 2-1 against the UC Davis Aggies Thursday.

“We need to go back to the drawing board and reconsider how hard we play,” said Titan midfielder Diego Sanchez.

In the 12th minute of the match, Titans midfielder Mark Hernandez gave CSUF a 1-0 advantage by burying a shot following a cross from midfielder Ross McPhie. The goal was Hernandez’s second of the season.

“Feels good, but … we didn’t win so it served no good,” Hernandez said. “It wasn’t enough.”

As the half continued, a volley from UC Davis defender Marte Formico snuck past CSUF goalie Paul-Andre Guerin’s hand in the 35th minute, tying the match 1-1.

With two minutes remaining of play in the first half, the Aggies continued their momentum when a header from defender Chase Rhode gave UC Davis its second goal of the match to take a 2-1 lead into halftime.

“It’s something we need to work on, quickly,” said McPhie. “It makes it lot harder to come back in the second half.”

In the final two minutes of the half the Titans had a final opportunity for a goal when forward Bass Sarr headed the free ball towards the net. His attempt appeared as though it could have crossed the goal line but was reeled back out by UC Davis goalie Wallis Lapsley for what officials deemed was a save.

The Titans will get their next chance to defend their home turf Saturday at 7:00 p.m. when they host Sacramento State University at Titan Stadium, and Titans Head Coach George Kuntz already knows the biggest adjustment his team will have to make.

“We just can’t play one half,” Kuntz said. “We have to come out from the very beginning.”

Church gives back to homeless community

Differences in city and shelter codes pose conflict for homeless in OC

Homeless individuals in OC confuse respective city codes and best practice procedures within shelters, said Curtis Gamble, a 58-year-old

A map of sanctuary cities in California

California remains a sanctuary state

On Aug. 1 the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals decision found that President Donald Trump’s January 2017 executive

Tau Kappa Epsilon members

Fraternity TKE looking to return to campus after 20 years

In 1998, the Cal State Fullerton chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity received several different complaints including someone firing