CSUF men’s soccer loses Big West home opener 2-1 against UC Davis

In Sports, Top Stories
(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer wasn’t able protect Titan Stadium in its first home game of conference play, falling 2-1 against the UC Davis Aggies Thursday.

“We need to go back to the drawing board and reconsider how hard we play,” said Titan midfielder Diego Sanchez.

In the 12th minute of the match, Titans midfielder Mark Hernandez gave CSUF a 1-0 advantage by burying a shot following a cross from midfielder Ross McPhie. The goal was Hernandez’s second of the season.

“Feels good, but … we didn’t win so it served no good,” Hernandez said. “It wasn’t enough.”

As the half continued, a volley from UC Davis defender Marte Formico snuck past CSUF goalie Paul-Andre Guerin’s hand in the 35th minute, tying the match 1-1.

With two minutes remaining of play in the first half, the Aggies continued their momentum when a header from defender Chase Rhode gave UC Davis its second goal of the match to take a 2-1 lead into halftime.

“It’s something we need to work on, quickly,” said McPhie. “It makes it lot harder to come back in the second half.”

In the final two minutes of the half the Titans had a final opportunity for a goal when forward Bass Sarr headed the free ball towards the net. His attempt appeared as though it could have crossed the goal line but was reeled back out by UC Davis goalie Wallis Lapsley for what officials deemed was a save.

The Titans will get their next chance to defend their home turf Saturday at 7:00 p.m. when they host Sacramento State University at Titan Stadium, and Titans Head Coach George Kuntz already knows the biggest adjustment his team will have to make.

“We just can’t play one half,” Kuntz said. “We have to come out from the very beginning.”

Art student captures social stigmas of men in photo series for ‘Collectively Here’ exhibit

Isolation, substance abuse, body image and grief make up stories untold by four people through black and white photographs