CSUF student reportedly shot to death in Wilmington, CA

In Campus News, Local News, News, Top Stories
(Courtesy of Facebook)

Cal State Fullerton student Alex Zepeda of Wilmington, CA, was shot and killed after a Halloween party early Saturday morning.

A friend of Zepeda’s said he was the first in his family to go to college, and that bled to death at 1:40 a.m. after being shot twice by three unidentified individuals in Wilmington.

The Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner office has a page for case details on Alex Zepeda, but has not released details regarding his cause of death because the examination is still pending.

Zepeda’s friend set up a GoFundMe page to help Zepeda’s family with the estimated $27,000 funeral and memorial arrangement costs.

“He has a big brother and a little brother,” the friend said. “He was definitely an example to his family and all his friends.”

While the reasons for the shooting are unknown, the friend said Wilmington is an area known for active gang violence.

“It’s something that could have happened to anyone,” they said.

The GoFundMe page was set up in an effort to help Zepeda’s family, who the friend doesn’t feel is “prepared for a loss like this.”

“(His mother) is completely distraught,” they said. “It’s a tremendous loss to his family.”

CSUF Chief Communications Officer Jeffrey Cook said he had no information regarding the case Sunday night. Los Angeles Police could not be reached for comment.

UPDATE: The identity of a source was removed from this article on Nov. 15 at 8:53 a.m.

Kyle Allman Jr. attempts jump shot

CSUF guard Kyle Allman named Big West player of the week

CSUF men’s basketball guard Kyle Allman Jr. was named Big West player of the week for the fourth time

The nightlife in Dotonbori features fluorescent lights, street food vendors and local bars.

Column: Two brothers reunited in Japan

When I woke from my nap, my body was still strapped to the coffin-like dimensions of my seat. The

A photo of transfer student Julian Serrano in front of Cal State Fullerton sign.

Column: From a Mt. San Antonio Mountie to a CSUF Titan

At the age of 17 I began my first semester at Mt. San Antonio College. I recall feeling overwhelmed