Cal State Fullerton volleyball looks to snap losing streak in Big West play

Cal State Fullerton volleyball is on a six-game losing streak that began at the Indiana State Tournament in mid-September. Although the Titans haven’t been able to break the streak during conference play, CSUF will get a chance to take a breather from Big West play as it faces the CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners Tuesday.

Fullerton has a 4-12 record after the University of Hawaii commanded the court in the Titans’ 3-0 loss Friday. Titans right side hitter Tyler Fezzey said the team’s biggest problems have been of the self-created variety.

“We consistently have a lot of hitting errors. We really just have to cut those down, bring down our own mistakes and let the other team make the errors,” Fezzey said.

CSU Bakersfield has an overall record of 10-8, with a four-game winning streak to kick off its conference schedule. Because the Roadrunners are a part of the Western Athletics Conference, they will never face the Titans in a conference match.

However, the two teams have faced a mutual opponent in their nonconference schedules – the Chicago State Cougars.

Although the CSUF took a 3-2 loss against the Cougars, outside hitter Shimen Fayad led the team with 17.5 points and 17 kills, while her fellow outside hitter Madeline Schneider contributed 13.5 points and 11 kills.

Bakersfield dominated Chicago in a 3-1 match that saw the Roadrunners outside hitter Desiree Sukhov lead the way with 13 kills and 13 points. Her teammate and middle blocker Haylee Roberts contributed 16 points and 12 kills.

The Titans will attempt to use their match against the Roadrunners to regroup before facing another Big West opponent.

“Learning from our mistakes, learning from simple things (in this game),” Schneider said. “Going into this game against Bakersfield we could all work on those things that are really going to matter when we play against those big teams in conference.”

The Titans will take on the Roadrunners at Titan Gym Oct. 3 at 7 p.m.

CSUF baseball faced the TCU Horned Frogs to kick off the MLB4 Tournament in Scottsdale, Arizona

CSUF baseball topples TCU in MLB4 tournament opener

In MLB’s inaugural game of the MLB4 Tournament, Cal State Fullerton baseball kept Texas Christian University at bay behind