CSUF women’s soccer earns a 1-0 victory over UC Santa Barbara

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan)

Coming off an upsetting loss to Cal Poly, Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer returned to its home field to defeat the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos 1-0, who sat right beneath CSUF in the Big West Conference rankings.  

“I think this was a very good accomplishment for our women being able to bounce back,” said Titans Head Coach Demian Brown. “I thought we protected the lead very well … To leave with another shutout, to leave with three points in our conference is very big for us.”

CSUF set the tone of the match quickly. Just nine minutes into the game, forward Connie Caliz scored her second goal of the season, off an assist from forward Atlanta Primus that put the Titans up 1-0.

“We’ve talked about getting gritty goals, and that’s what I did tonight,” Caliz said.  

With two of the top goalkeepers in the Big West facing off, impressive saves were bound to be made. Morgan Bertsch saved both of UCSB’s shots on goal, those being her total for the first half.

“We kind of just set in and knew that we were going to face a lot of pressure … I’m really proud of the way our team defended and grinded out the win,” Bertsch said.

The second half of the game slowed down significantly as UCSB’s attempts to get on the board were unsuccessful. The Titans tried to advance their lead but found themselves falling short as well.

With both teams desperately trying to find the back of the net, the Titans and the Gauchos racked up 12 fouls each.

By the end of the game, CSUF totaled eight shots to UCSB’s six. However, Fullerton’s shots hit the mark to end the period and match in its favor 1-0 .

“It’s tournament time. We need to take game by game. Win. Stay in it, “ Bertsch said.

Kyle Allman Jr. attempts jump shot

CSUF guard Kyle Allman named Big West player of the week

CSUF men’s basketball guard Kyle Allman Jr. was named Big West player of the week for the fourth time

The nightlife in Dotonbori features fluorescent lights, street food vendors and local bars.

Column: Two brothers reunited in Japan

When I woke from my nap, my body was still strapped to the coffin-like dimensions of my seat. The

A photo of transfer student Julian Serrano in front of Cal State Fullerton sign.

Column: From a Mt. San Antonio Mountie to a CSUF Titan

At the age of 17 I began my first semester at Mt. San Antonio College. I recall feeling overwhelmed