CSUF women’s soccer fell 1-0 against UC Irvine in its final Big West match

(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer traveled to UC Irvine for its final match of conference play, and with Big West tournament seeding on the line, the Titans fell 1-0 against the Anteaters.

“Its unfortunate for our women to end on the other side of a Big West conference championship,” Head Coach Demian Brown told Cal State Fullerton Sports Media. “But we’re very excited now and looking forward toward the Big West conference tournament.”

The Titans wasted no time in their pursuit of a goal. Forward Sarah Fajnor and midfielder Samantha Koemans attempted shots within the first four minutes of play, but neither delivered. The Anteaters’ defense was put on alert and limited the Titans to one more first-half shot.

Irvine controlled the rest of the first half. Anteaters midfielder Lili Andino scored in the 30th minute off an assist from midfielder Elizabeth Hutchison and defender Andrea Mensen. This goal would be the lone point put on the board by either team.

Fullerton was not going down without a fight, though, sprinkling in six shots during the second half.

Fajnor, who sat in fourth place on the Big West leaderboards for shot attempts before this game, moved up to third after taking three shots in the second half.

After Sunday, the Titans now sit in fourth place in the Big West. They will face UCI in a rematch Thursday Nov. 2 at Cal State Northridge. If the Titans can avenge their loss and defeat the Anteaters, they will face the winner of the CSUN, UC Riverside game with a conference title on the line.

“We’re looking for a second chance at Irvine and another chance at a Big West conference tournament championship,” Brown said.