Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer dominates Hawaii 3-0 on senior night

In Sports, Top Stories
(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan Stock Photo)

In its seniors’ last night under the lights of Titan Stadium, Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer defeated the University of Hawaii 3-0.

“Our conference is amazing in the quality and competition of the teams,” said Titans Head Coach Demian Brown. “I think these three points … Can put us in a really good position not just putting us into the conference tournament, but hopefully to win our conference.”

Before the game, the team’s nine seniors were honored on the field with their parents beside them as part of senior night, and after the ceremony concluded, they controlled the pace from kickoff.

Ten minutes in, senior forward Maribell Morales found the back of the net off an Atlanta Primus assist from a Tala Haddad corner. This marked the second goal of the season for Morales, the first coming against Grand Canyon University in September.

Fittingly, Morales wasn’t the only senior to score in the first half. Tala Haddad played the ball to Kaycee Hoover, who tucked it away in the top-right corner in the 23rd minute.

“It definitely meant the world to me,” Hoover said. “Being in that moment and having so many moments like that over the season and over the years, but tonight it meant so much more.”

The Titans finished the first half with nine shots, while Hawaii couldn’t even get off one.

The Titans stayed on the offensive side of the ball as the second half ensued. After six second-half shots, Primus finally converted thanks to a through ball from Samantha McKenna.

The Titans ended the game with 22 shots, 13 of which were on goal, while holding Hawaii to just two shots in the match, allowing goalie Morgan Bertsch to record her ninth shutout of the season.

“I think we needed this for ourselves,” Hoover said. “I think this win definitely gives us a good spot to where we go into Sunday with a lot of confidence and momentum.”

The Titans travel to UC Irvine Sunday to wrap up conference play, and a win against the Anteaters would grant the Titans a bid in the Big West Tournament.

“I think a big part of this game is that it’s a fantastic confidence builder,” Brown said. “We will look to use this as momentum to propel us into Sunday.”

Guests hug each other at the memorial service for Augie Garrido on Nov. 9.

CSUF honors the Titans baseball head coach Augie Garrido

CSUF baseball players, coaches, alumni and members of the CSUF athletic department commemorated the life of Augie Garrido, a

CSUF volleyball middle blocker Summer Kerins celebrates senior night with her family and head coach Ashley Preston when the Titans faced the Cal Baptist Lancers.

CSUF volleyball salvages one set against Cal Baptist on senior night

CSUF volleyball dropped its final home match of the season 3-1 to Cal Baptist University on Tuesday night, giving

The ‘Mayans M.C.’ takes ‘Sons of Anarchy’ to a new level

The “Mayans M.C.” season finale gave fans an answer to the season’s biggest mystery, but brings more unanswered questions