CSUF women’s soccer to face Hawaii in final home conference match

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer will play its final home match of the season Thursday at 7 p.m. as the University of Hawaii makes its way to Titan Stadium.

CSUF (3-2-1) is still playing for a bid in the Big West Tournament, and although Hawaii (1-4-1) sits in last place of the Big West, the Titans are not taking their opponents lightly.

“This team has nothing to lose at this point,” said fifth-year forward Connie Caliz. “They’re going to come at us with all they got.”

Hawaii is in the midst of its best stretch of conference play so far. In its last three games, the team has a 1-1-1 record, and the Titans are determined not to let Hawaii’s strong play continue.

“It’s the same for every game we go into: They have their game plan and we have our game plan,” said senior forward Sarah Fajnor. “We have to focus on ourselves and not so much on them.”

The Titans pride themselves on their ability to defend their home field. Coming into this match, the Titans are 7-1-1 overall at home and 2-0-1 in conference play.

Goalie Morgan Bertsch has only given up one goal at home since the start of conference play, and on the offensive side of the pitch, CSUF hasn’t been shut out at Titan Stadium this season.

“We like to protect our house,” Fajnor said. “To get to play here and succeed in front of our friends, family and fans is all we’ve all wanted to do. We want to succeed for this program and this school.”

This game is significant for more than just seeding. Because the match is the Titans’ last home game of the season, the team and its nine seniors will also celebrate senior night, making the game worth more than the three points a win would give them.

“We know to leave it all out on the field, especially because it’s that special night for us,” Caliz said.

Thinking about senior night left Fajnor reminiscing about her journey from freshman year to her final season in orange and blue. Fajnor expressed how “surreal” it is to know that, in two weeks, she won’t be practicing with the Titans, and senior night will be the last time she and her fellow seniors will take the field at Titan Stadium.

“I have loved my time here. It’s been such a blessing,” Fajnor said. “I’m really excited that I get to experience it with my senior class.”