CSUF women’s soccer takes three-game winning streak into weekend

(Katie Alberston / Daily Titan)

With a three-game winning streak to its name, Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer is preparing to face the UC Riverside Highlanders Thursday and the Long Beach State 49ers Sunday.

The Titans have a perfect record in Big West play after they shut out CSU Northridge in their first Big West conference match.

“We’re just playing our game and sticking to our plan and not changing how we play for other teams,” said junior midfielder Jessica Simonian.

Though the Highlanders had a rough time in nonconference play with a record of 5-7-2, they have been able to take advantage of a clean slate in Big West play.

The Highlanders cleaned up their errors and beat the Gauchos 4-1 Sept. 29 and notched another 1-0 win against Cal Poly Oct. 1.

The Titans still stand on top of the charts with three top of the Big West goal scorers on their roster: Samantha Koemans, Atlanta Primus and Sarah Fajnor. Their efforts have helped the team own the title for most goals scored (27).

On the defensive end, goalkeeper Morgan Bertsch and the Titans’ defense are responsible for being No.1 on the leaderboard for the fewest goals scored against (9) tied with 49ers’ goalkeeper Imani McDonald.

Though the Titans and the Highlanders contrast one another statistically, they share one thing in common – a three-game winning streak. The Highlanders also aren’t the only streak-holding opponents the Titans will have to face this week, as the 49ers are on a three-game winning stretch as well.
Long Beach State has a record of 7-3-1 in the regular season but are also undefeated in conference play (1-0). The 49ers defeated the University of Hawaii Rainbow Wahine 2-0 in their first Big West match.

The 49ers stand higher than the Highlanders in the ranks, but they still fall short of the Titans’ 8-2-2 record.

The 49ers are in fourth place for most goals scored with 16 and are tied for second place for fewest goals scored against with UC Irvine (11).

Simonian said the Titans are preparing for these upcoming games by focusing on their speed of play, something Simonian feels will help CSUF possibly snap a few streaks this weekend.

“We worked this week on playing quickly, checking our shoulders and being able to play as soon as you get the ball, just being faster with our play,” Simonian said.

The Titans will attempt to build upon their winning streak in their second conference match Thursday at 5 p.m. at the UC Riverside Soccer Stadium.

Yaresly Sanchez-Aguilera contributed to this report.