32nd Annual Friendship Games celebrated Filipino-American culture with lively competition

In Features, Lifestyle
(Anita Huor / Daily Titan)

CSUF Filipino-American students chanted together “I said brr, it’s cold in here, there must be PASA in the atmosphere,” among the surrounding groups. Their competitive roars built anticipation for the upcoming games, as it contagiously echoed throughout the Intramural Field.

Pilipino-American Student Association (PASA) is a college organization dedicated to educating and promoting the Filipino culture on campus with events like the 32nd annual Friendship Games Saturday.

College students from 40 campuses on the West Coast converged at CSUF to show their school pride and celebrate Filipino-American culture.

Spirit, pride, unity and friendship (S.P.U.F) encapsulate the core meaning of the games by honoring Filipino-American History Month with lively competition of picnic games, dance performances and chant battles.

CSUF freshman Renzo Openano participated in the Friendship Games for the first time Saturday. He enjoyed the combination of the intensity of the games and meeting new people who share his heritage.

“I wanted to learn more about my culture because our generation is more Americanized now, and by joining this club I will learn more about the Filipino culture,” Openano said.

The opening ceremony included roll call performances which showcased each organization’s theme with choreographed dance moves. The cheer chants and playful battles between teams hyped up the competition throughout the day.

CSUF wore “PASA” on NASA-style shirts and held up a sign decorated as a rocket as their theme for roll call. Each school embodied different themes like Mean Girls, Nintendo and Powerpuff Girls through their team spirit, clothing and signs to represent their organization.

Scoring varied for each game, but the three teams with the most points at the end of picnic games competed in a final rampage. With practice and hard work, CSUF made it to the finals alongside San Jose State and Cal State East Bay.

The final rampage was a series of obstacles organized by sports coordinators. The last standing colleges were unaware what the obstacles would entail. Each obstacle had a time limit and if a team couldn’t finish, they moved on to the next task. The team with the fastest time won.

At the end of the event, trophies were awarded to the schools who earned the most points during the competitions. The college that showed the most S.P.U.F. was awarded an 8-foot-tall trophy.

While taking a break from all-day activities during the halftime show, participants enjoyed

performances from dance crews Pac Modern, Theta Delta Beta and Team Millennia. Spoken-word artist Steady and musician Sheryl Ann Padre shared their Filipino pride with performances as well.

PASA Internal Vice President Angelyn Garcia has been involved with the club for two years and enjoys the process of preparing for the Friendship games despite the stress of organizing it. Garcia enjoys watching her fellow PASA members hustle during games and the empowerment the teams pass along to one another.

What I do like is the fact that we intentionally put Friendships Games during this month just so we remember to celebrate our history,” Garcia said. “It’s a great way of celebrating our culture.”

Graph depicting full time equivalent students enrollment at different CSU's

Cal State Fullerton ranks lowest in funding per student in the CSU system

Cal State Fullerton receives the lowest funding per student in the CSU system and has the most enrolled students

Graph showing a decrease in crime statistics

CSUF releases Annual Security Report under Clery Act showing 2017 crime rates

Cal State Fullerton and several other local CSUs have released their 2017 Annual Security Report as mandated by the

Gayle Brunelle addresses her concerns with executive order 1100 at academic senate meeting thursday

General education requirements in CSU system could create faculty layoffs

Chancellor Timothy P. White issued an executive order in August 2017 requiring colleges in the CSU system to change