LGBT Queer Resource Center celebrates National Coming Out Day

In News
(Amy Wells / Daily Titan)

The LGBT Queer Resource Center expanded its walls Wednesday by bringing the center to the students in recognition of National Coming Out Day.

Set up along Titan Walk, passing students could learn about the day’s history. It was started in 1988 by Rob Eichberg and Jean O’Leary, with the date chosen to honor the March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights on Oct. 11, 1987.

With October marking LGBT History Month, the center has taken strides to bring awareness to students of their resources through different events.

“The LGBT Queer Resource Center is doing a visibility initiative this year to bring the center out of the physical space itself, especially for students who may not feel comfortable yet in regards to coming to the center,” said LGBT Queer Resource Center coordinator Chris Datiles.

National Coming Out Day aims to spread LGBTQ visibility and build a community that supports those who are publicly out, but also those who are not.

Datiles wanted to spread the message that no one is required to come out to be a part of the community.

Dielle Estrada, fourth-year American studies major, recently got involved with the center to support LGBTQ students on campus. Estrada said the center serves as a space for students who feel uncomfortable coming out and can provide security and support.

“It is a difficult situation for students who aren’t accepted with families or friendships,” Estrada said. “I want them to know that there is a resource center that’s a safe space for students here.”

Fifth-year student Phillippe Orea was at the table to show his support as an ally. Orea works as a resident advisor for CSUF’s Rainbow House, a housing community for LGBTQ students and allies.

As an RA, Orea collaborates with the center to get students engaged with the community.

“I came out (here) because I felt like I saw a need for the community to be supported,” Orea said. “In my short amount of time, I’ve realized how much support the community still needs, even though there’s been a lot of progress.”

Junior communications major Sophia Noory stopped by the table in solidarity. Noory transferred from De Anza College in Cupertino where she said she noticed a lack of LGBTQ visibility.

Here at CSUF, Noory said she sees a larger presence.

“I think it’s a really great resource and presence on campus,” Noory said. “It makes for a better community.”

Art student captures social stigmas of men in photo series for ‘Collectively Here’ exhibit

Isolation, substance abuse, body image and grief make up stories untold by four people through black and white photographs