‘Younger Now’ Review: Miley Cyrus’ mature reinvention falls flat

In Arts & Entertainment, Lifestyle, Music, Reviews
(Courtesy of RCA Records)

Miley Cyrus’ infamous, unapologetic stunts have kept her relevant throughout her career. However, Cyrus’ latest album “Younger Now” reflects her recent development as a more serious, mature artist, which may change how people view her.

In May, Cyrus released “Malibu,” the first single of her new album, which showcased her more mellow side. The song is reminiscent of the old horseback-riding, country-singing, Tennessee-living persona from her Disney Channel days. Responses were positive, not only because the old Miley was back, but because the song was actually good.

“Malibu” made it to the Top 10 on Billboard charts soon after its release, which is uncomparable to her No. 1 hit “Wrecking Ball,” which dominated the charts for 32 consecutive weeks.

In the song “Younger Now,” Cyrus reflects on her past, when she sings “Even though it’s not who I am, I’m not afraid of who I used to be.” She seems to have grown from the experience, singing “no one stays the same.”

The track “Week Without You” may be inspired by her tumultuous relationship with Liam Hemsworth. In the track, she says how stress-free and enjoyable a week without him would be but then realizes how much she would actually miss him. The pair’s relationship dates back to 2009 and although they did break up for some time, they always seem to get back together. It appears their extensive history makes it hard for Cyrus to let him go, as she expresses through the lyrics, “You know I’d miss you, baby. Feels like I’ve known you since I was just seven years old.”

The track “Thinkin’” demonstrates a more vulnerable and relatable side of Cyrus. The star expresses paranoia in a relationship with the lyrics, “It’s getting late, I’m starting to obsess, you got me cryin’ and lookin’ like a mess.”

With the release of “Younger Now,” it’s safe to say Cyrus has returned to her country roots. The album features country sensation and longtime friend Dolly Parton on the track “Rainbowland.”

Overall, the album is a bit of a snoozefest. There are a couple feel-good tracks to kick back to, but a lot of them like “Miss You So Much” and “She’s Not Him” will put listeners straight to sleep.

The album greatly differs from her last two “Bangerz” and “Miley Cyrus and her Dead Petz.” As far as style, genre and content go, it doesn’t seem to measure up to them. “Bangerz” was exactly that: A set of bangers. “Dead Petz” may have received little to no publicity, but it contained a unique arrangement of fun and risqué tracks with catchy beats.

“Younger Now” connects fans with the original Cyrus. The genre may have worked for her dad Billy Ray Cyrus in his “Achy Breaky Heart” days, but it doesn’t seem to do the same for her.

Miley Cyrus’ authenticity and fresh state of mind are admirable, but the album lacks flavor and excitement.

It might not be her best work, but it’s nice to have the old Miley Cyrus back.

The Pasillas family, father and sons, pose in front of their workspace for the Rialto Printing Company.

Voices from Home: The Pasillas family represents their city with the Rialto Print Company

Few people are aware of how much thought and time is put into a T-shirt design, but what began

An electric vehicle charging station at CSUF.

CSUF to add more electric vehicle charging spots on campus

As part of a statewide goal, Cal State Fullerton plans on adding more electric vehicle parking stations in an

The crowd looks forward to the Levitt Pavilion anticipating an Anderson .Paak performance.

Anderson .Paak holds charity concert for Brandon Anderson Foundation

“Yes lawd!” yelled hundreds of people in the crowd as Anderson .Paak took the stage on Saturday at MacArthur