Mumble rappers are destroying the rap industry

(Hannah Miller / Daily Titan)

Today’s rap genre has taken a turn for the worse, and it’s all thanks to current rap artists who have ushered in a new, poor excuse of a trend — mumble rap.

Young Thug, Kodak Black, Lil Uzi Vert, Migos and 21 Savage are some people who constitute what mumble rappers are, and they all lack the a key component of hip-hop.

One of the most important elements of hip-hop is the art of emceeing, the best way for someone to define themselves as a true rapper. It has to feel great when people cheer after a rapper nails a difficult, multi-syllable rhyme that takes hours to craft.

When an artist can rap about any given topic, it shows their true talent and versatility. That being said, the mumble rappers of today are ignoring emceeing as they mumble their way to fame without proving that they can truly spit some bars.

Mumble rappers have become an insult, a true mockery to the art of rap and have severely lowered the standards that rap legends like Biggie and Tupac worked so hard to set.

Contemporary rappers have no lyricism outside of women, money and drugs, which is downright disappointing.

Accounting major Jonathan Ramos thinks hip-hop is less thoughtful than it was back in the day.

“I feel like rap has lost it’s meaning from when it first started in the ‘90s,” Ramos said. “So now it’s just a lot of that mumbleness. It’s just mainly about the beat. They don’t really care about what words they say.”

A lot of these so-called rappers have guest-starred on radio talk shows and have been invited to freestyle live on the air. Lil Uzi Vert attempted to freestyle during an interview with radio station HOT 97 and threw slurred words around acting like it was lyrically genius.

Newsflash: Overconfidence should never be a substitute for great quality, especially if the freestyle consists of undecipherable words. Lil Uzi Vert’s freestyle shies away from the foundation of rap.

Most of today’s mumble rappers no longer care about the craft behind the art of rap. If they have no intention to be the best in the game, then they should not claim the title of a hip-hop artist.

Kinesiology major Douglas Fernandez said that today’s generation of mumble rappers are not considered artists because they are nothing like the original rappers who made hip-hop great.

“You had Gang Starr and A Tribe Called Quest,” Fernandez said. “They had such a large influence on rap. You look at them as the golden era of hip-hop but nowadays I don’t really think the new generation is going to really see today’s hip-hop as anything big as Biggie Smalls and all the rappers from the golden era of hip-hop.”

If these mumble rappers are considered artists, then their music should be under a subgenre of hip-hop specifically labeled mumble rap. By categorizing mumble rap as its own genre, these non-rap artists will compete with each other without being confused with actual rap.