Shutting down puppy mills upholds animal rights

(Hannah Miller / Daily Titan)

Gather ‘round! Come one, come all, buy a puppy who was bred in wired and wood cages, left with just enough resources to survive and is prone to hereditary conditions like heart disease. Who would want to support buying a pet from an abusive, neglective puppy mill?

Nobody, that’s who. To think this is illegal in just one state out of 50 is disgraceful. The other 49 states need to take a page from California’s rule book and expand their animal rights initiatives by joining the fight against the inhumane acts dominated by large commercial breeding facilities.

The definition of a puppy mill will leave many wondering why this was allowed in the first place. A puppy mill is, “operated by a breeder who produces puppies with no breeding program, little attention to puppy placement and poor health and socialization practices,” according to the Los Angeles Animal Services website.

This is undeniably wrong. Animals deserve protected rights and empathy, and it seems California Gov. Jerry Brown is the one who will lead the charge.

Brown signed Assembly Bill 485 Friday, which will prohibit “a pet store operator from selling a live dog, cat or rabbit in a pet store unless the (animal) was obtained from a public animal control agency or shelter, society for the prevention of cruelty to animals shelter, humane society shelter or rescue group” that’s in a cooperative agreement with a private or public shelter.

But this law will not lend a helping paw to our furry four-legged friends any time soon, because it won’t be enforced until Jan. 1, 2019. Meaning these puppy mills will sell abused and neglected puppies to families and stores until then.

California needs support and cannot be the only state to faze out this ridiculous act of cruelty that undermines animals.

There are about 10,000 licensed and unlicensed puppy mills in the U.S., according to a 2014 Puppy Mill: Facts and Figures report by the Humane Society of the United States. Additionally, California has fewer puppy mills than other states, Susan Riggs, senior director of State Legislation, told KQED Science.

Without the support of the remaining 49 states, nothing substantial will be accomplished in the pursuit of protecting animal rights.

Imagine buying a cute, adorable puppy from a pet store. Within weeks of living at home, the dog starts vomiting and refusing food. Why? Because of an uncontrollable birth defect from being born in a puppy mill.

This was the story of a Cocker Spaniel named Chloe, who was euthanized at 11-months-old due to kidney failure, according to Care2, a social enterprise website.

Sadly, this is far too common. Early deaths from birth defects are apparent because the disregard for quality care found in for-profit mills.

Unsurprisingly, there are still greedy businessmen who believe puppy mills benefit consumers.

The Pet Joint Advisory Council stated that Brown should veto the bill because it would, “restrict Californians’ ability to find the pet that best fits their needs and lifestyles” and “put pet stores out of business.”

Ah, yes, because animals from disgusting mass breeding facilities run by workers who provide little to no care for them is exactly what people hope to find when they’re looking for a pet.

Allowing pet store owners to continue to diminish and exploit the few rights animals have for the sake of money is pure evil.

It’s time to come together and recognize the work California is doing by ditching the obsolete notion that animals are mere products for businesses and start upholding and protecting the rights of our furry best friends.

CSUF athletics logo

CSUF athletics signed 17 athletes on National Letter of Intent Day

This story was updated on Nov. 20 at 5:37 p.m. to include the latest signing.  CSUF athletics officially entered the

Khalil Ahmad rests with his hands on his knees on the sidelines during CSUF men's basketball game against UC Irvine on Feb. 3.

Khalil Ahmad named Big West player of the week for CSUF men’s basketball

Khalil Ahmad recieved Big West player of the week honors for his performance during the Myrtle Beach Invitational for

One commentOn Shutting down puppy mills upholds animal rights

• So long overdue and SO welcome. Besides the cruelty (breeding stock with rotting, infected teeth and gums, deformed legs, eyes and lungs damaged from 24-hours, every day, of polluted air and stench of body discharge mixed with food, never socialized with people so very fearful, etc.), the innocent buyers only see a cute “puppy in the window.” They buy, bond, and eventually, the ailments begin–costing thousands of dollars, IF they are even treatable. By this time, the puppy has become a member of the family. The older, breeding dogs, left at the “mill,” are kept alive, only as long as they breed and produce. They’re usually so sick that the puppy mill breeders “dispose” of them the cheapest way possible. Loud applause for California!