Trump administration ignores contraception uses

(Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons)

President Donald Trump’s administration decided earlier this month that it would hack off yet another important part of the Affordable Care Act: Women’s birth control. Employers will no longer be required to cover contraception for women.

However, like with most significant issues, the Trump administration has little knowledge of how detrimental its actions are to the public. In an effort to please the Republican base, the women who are actually affected once again go unheard.

The Trump administration has stated “religious beliefs and moral convictions” as reasons for denying this coverage – poor justifications for such a negative impact on women’s lives.

If the administration was more aware of the gravity of the situation, it would recognize that exemptions against contraception that are based on morality are derived from outdated beliefs of women’s sexuality.

The double standard for women has always been that they should be pure, innocent angels who don’t have sexual desires, while remaining sexually desirable to men, who can do whatever they please.

The birth control pill, along with other methods of contraception, finally started to even out this discrepancy as it liberated women from sexual repression by finally allowing them to protect themselves from the life-changing event of having a baby and giving them the power to properly plan for a family.

However, the idea of women taking control of their bodies is such an offensive thought to the Trump administration that it’s willing to use fallacies and subjective morality to justify its beliefs. Essentially, setting women back to a social climate akin to before 1960, when the pill was approved by the Food and Drug Administration and mass produced.

As if it isn’t obvious enough, birth control helps prevent pregnancies. One would think that all the vocal anti-abortionists would want to keep women who don’t want to get pregnant from getting pregnant, but alas nothing about this administration makes sense.

If Republicans aren’t particularly fond of the idea of birth control, they will be less fond of increasing abortion rates as a result of unwanted pregnancies. Despite personal beliefs, Roe v. Wade still stands.

The Trump administration overlooks the fact that birth control also has numerous health benefits for women that have nothing to do with preventing a pregnancy.

Of all birth control pill users, over half of them report using it for “any noncontraceptive reason,” according to the Guttmacher Institute.

Women use the pill to clear up acne, reduce the possibility of anemia, infections in the ovaries, fallopian tubes and uterus and to ease painful menstrual cramps, according to Planned Parenthood.

Many women, in this case, aren’t using a birth control pill for its explicit intentions, but because they want to reap the health benefits in order to make their day-to-day lives a bit more manageable.

Rather than clinging to the definition of birth control that serves its interests instead of the public’s, the Trump administration needs to be re-educated on everything birth control is used for and learn how to put constituents’ lives first.

This is an issue that will affect millions of women, and it’s women who have to stand up and demand their rights to sexual liberty as they have time and time again. But if that’s what it takes to have a measly pill covered by employers, then it’s necessary action that should be taken.

Trump and his cronies will surely regret this decision after they hear the roar of women everywhere demanding coverage for contraception.

CSUF Outside Hitter Gabrielle Barcelos set ups a spike attempt for her teammate against Cal Poly SLO, Sept. 21.

CSUF volleyball loses to UC Santa Barbara, drops eighth-straight game

CSUF volleyball was aced 10 times on the way to a three-set loss against UC Santa Barbara in Titan

CSUF's forward Bass Sarr confronts St. Francis' midfielder Kevin Smolyn during the Titans 2-2 tie.

CSUF men’s soccer draws tie against St. Francis University

Sunday night was repeated doses of deja vu disguised as a soccer game, as Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer

An electric vehicle spot, much like the one where the kicking incident occurred.

CSUF professor ordered to pay student for damaged car

John Short, Cal State Fullerton professor of theatre and dance, was ordered to pay a CSUF student $3,246.44 on