For Cal State Fullerton graduates, getting jobs in their field will take time

In Campus News, Local News, News
(Hannah Miller / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton graduates are likely to find jobs related to their degrees, but it may take a few extra years.

CSUF Interim Provost Anil Puri, who serves as the director of the Woods Center for Economic Analysis and Forecasting, released a report which stated that few new jobs in Orange County will be created over the next two years compared to past years.

“Any time you come out of a recession, initially there is a burst of jobs, but then as most of the jobs are filled, companies slow down their rate of new jobs created, which is a pretty difficult (part) of the cycle,” Puri said.

In 2015, job availability grew 3.2 percent but has only increased 1.2 percent so far this year, Puri said. It is predicted to increase 1 percent for 2018 and for 2019, according to the economic forecast report, which could possibly put more strain on new graduates looking for full-time work.

Although growth is slowing, the 3.7 percent unemployment rate in Orange County is at its lowest since 2007.

The unemployment rate is almost as low as it can be for Orange County, Puri said.

Students graduating in the next few years are likely to feel the effects of this, especially because graduates have experienced difficulty in years with increased job growth, as the data shows.

Although the 2014 CSUF Social Science Research Center report showed about 75 percent of survey respondents were employed in career fields for which they studied within a year of graduation, only 56 percent worked full time and of the 44 percent working part time, half were looking for full-time positions.

The study found that larger numbers of CSUF students took jobs within the industries of education (17 percent), health (17 percent) and retail trade (18 percent), which mirrors what the 2014 California State University Labor Market Outcomes study shows.

However, there is a disparity between the number of women and men finding jobs.

Women ages 25 to 54 are driving the growing labor force and taking an increasing number of jobs as more low-education, low-skilled jobs are created as well as those in education and health, the report shows.

Around 1.4 million men in the same age range have left the U.S. labor force.

“Jobs for women grew at a faster pace than that for men, and so the number of women employed before the recession is exceeded by the number of women employed now, while for men it hasn’t happened. A reason for that is the kind of industries that have grown faster,” Puri said.

For men who do not continue school, it is harder to find low-education, low-skill jobs because they would often take construction or mechanical work, but there are fewer jobs in that sector today, Puri said.

The most jobs held by CSUF graduates according to the 2014 study were in the industry of services unrelated to education or health at 26 percent. These services include sales and food workers, beauticians and other personal services.  

Of the CSUF graduates sample, about 11 percent are unemployed and seeking jobs.

This is a photo of a stress-relieving therapy dog that was at WellFest.

CSUF Health Services hosts second annual WellFest to meet staff, educate and raise awareness

Health Services hosted their second WellFest at the CSUF Student Wellness Center, where students relieved stress by petting certified

This is a photo of two of the three couples who participated in the panel.

Couples from Osher Lifelong Learning Institute share the secret to long-lasting love

The Diversity Initiatives and Resource Center and Osher Lifelong Learning Institute hosted a Valentine’s Day-themed couples panel with three

Gil Cisneros speaking with Fullerton residents

Representative Gil Cisneros hosts open house at Fullerton home office

Congressman Gil Cisneros, the Democrat representative of the 39th District opened his first home office in Fullerton this past

One commentOn For Cal State Fullerton graduates, getting jobs in their field will take time

• The unfortunate reality is that the jobs are going to graduates of more academically rigorous universities.