Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball takes first loss of season against Pacific

(Bailey Carpenter/ Daily Titan)

Taking an entirely new staff on the road following a win in its season openerCal State Fullerton women’s basketball wasn’t able to keep its winning momentum after falling to the University of the Pacific Tigers 81-65.

Titans guard China Henderson scored CSUF’s first jumper of the game to give the team a 2-0 lead. The basket was the Titans’ last advantage of the night, and it didn’t last long as the Tigers quickly took a 4-2 lead a little over a minute later.

Ball security was the main culprit for the Titans, who had eight of their 20 turnovers in the first period (compared to the Tigers’ one) which resulted in them being outscored by the Tigers 22-9.

Things began to turn around for the Titans in the second period as they began closing the point margin little by little, starting with a layup by forward Carolyn Gill.

Five successful shot attempts by Titans guard Jade Vega put CSUF in a comfortable position heading into the third period, leaving them just six points short of the Tigers, but the heat brought into the quarter by Vega was extinguished quickly as CSUF wasn’t able to maintain its momentum heading into the second half.

Not only were the Tigers quick to pounce on baskets, but more sloppy turnovers by CSUF created a margin the Titans couldn’t close as Pacific opened the gap to 14 points by the end of the third quarter.

Titans guard Hannah Thompson did her best to bring the Titans back, contributing 11 of her team-high 13 points in the second half, but her scoring wasn’t enough to keep the Titans in the game, and the team took its first loss of the year.

The Titans will continue on the road as they travel south to face San Diego State on Saturday at noon.

CSUF baseball dropped the first game of the NCAA Fullerton Super Regional to Washington 8-5 Friday at Goodwin Field.