Children are lacking imagination because of excessive cellphone use

In Health & Science, Opinion
Instead of staring at a phone all day, children have to get out and experience more than a screen. The addictive nature of phones is leading to children missing out on vital aspects of life. (Hannah Miller / Daily Titan)

Rather than embracing the great outdoors or physically interacting with others, children between the ages of five and 12 spend countless hours in front of their mobile screens. Not only are they missing out on essential parts of their childhood, but the time spent on their phones ultimately results in a loss of imagination.  

It’s no surprise children can’t stay away from these glowing screens. A study by Flurry, an analytics publication, shows that people tend to spend over five hours a day on their phones.

When children have easy access to the internet in the palm of their hands, they never grow bored. That is where the problem begins to unfold.

Relying on mobile devices negatively impacts children multiple ways.

Children will not get to experience and use their imaginations to their full potential while they are young. They will not know how to think without their device, or be able to entertain themselves.

Physical activity actually speeds up cognitive function and stimulates more blood vessels in the brain to support more brain cells, according to a 2013 study by the National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine.

Youths are always finding ways to avoid being bored, but boredom should not carry such a negative connotation.

Instead, it should be seen as something that lets people know when it is time to move on and find a new way to entertain oneself.

Boredom forces kids to use their imagination to come up with new ways to entertain themselves. Imagination gives them the ability to create worlds to become a part of and the opportunity to be interactive.  

But instead, they retreat to their smartphones.

Prior generations didn’t have the same access to technology. Nowadays, children have conjured up a materialistic attitude.

Back then, children couldn’t look to their smartphones when there wasn’t much happening at home so they went outside and used a little more imagination than kids today.

Playing outside is one of the best ways to develop a strong sense of imagination, and with that comes the ability to be comfortable when one is alone, according to a study by a Portland news publication.

Because there are no rules or preconceived ideas in the outdoor atmosphere, children have to create the world around them. By doing this, they exercise their imagination in ways they can’t get from their devices.

Technology has led to tons of innovations and benefits for children and adults alike, but that doesn’t mean it should take away from the wonders of playing outside and being young. Children should still learn how to use this technology, but they should just spend a bit of time outside sometimes, too.

Illustration of student buying food

California proposing financial aid to food insecure students

The number of food-insecure students has been rising across college campuses throughout the nation due to rising tuition costs

Kanye West raps while three sillhouettes of women labeled with slang look over their shoulder in scorn.

Rappers Kanye West and the late XXXTentacion promote misogyny

It’s a troubling reality that most rappers still have a thriving career. From their seemingly flagrant misogynistic behaviors to

A graphic showing the steps to take in the event of an active shooter

Active shooter drills at Cal State Fullerton

September is National Preparedness Month at Cal State Fullerton, which encompasses everything from fire, earthquake, hurricane and active shooter