LA County assistant sheriff Todd Rogers campaigns for chief of police position

(Gene Pietragallo / Daily Titan)

Former Los Angeles County Assistant Sheriff Todd Rogers gave a presentation in Mihaylo Hall on Wednesday on his candidacy for the Cal State Fullerton Chief of Police opening before spending the day talking to the university’s faculty and students in lecture halls throughout the campus.

Rogers, a 32-year veteran of the sheriff’s department, addressed his plans to improve on the University Police following Chief of Police Dennis J. DeMaio, who recently announced his plans to retire from his position after fall 2017.

“It’s an opportunity that combines my passions of law enforcement and education,” Rogers said. “I’ve always aspired to culminate my career by being a chief of police and leading an agency, bringing all the things that I’ve learned over my career and lifetime to building an agency.”

He explained his vision to continue the legacy of a supportive, motivated and empowered University Police force while focusing on student safety.

“We want to provide a safe, open and nurturing environment for the educational experience to take place, but we also want to make it clear to people who want to come and do harm to our students, faculty, staff and campus that we have a police department that’s willing and able to stop them,” Rogers said.

After praising University Police, Rogers added that he plans to observe their practice before making any adjustments.

“There’s a great legacy left by the retiring chief, and I need to come in and become a subject-matter expert on the department,” Rogers said. “When the time is appropriate, I will apply my breadth of experience and help mentor the team.”

Rogers also has experience with city government, as he has been the mayor of Lakewood on three separate occasions, most recently between 2014-15. He is also a current member of the Lakewood City Council.

“From what I heard, he seems to be a good fit for the student body and what the students want in a police chief for our University Police Department,” said third-year psychology major Samantha Bowen, who attended Wednesday’s presentation.

Rogers is the second chief of police candidate to present on campus to faculty and staff following University Police Capt. John Brockie’s talk Monday.

San Diego Community College Chief of Police Raymund Aguirre is scheduled to present his campaign and potential employment plans on Dec. 4.

One commentOn LA County assistant sheriff Todd Rogers campaigns for chief of police position

• No, no, no, do not consider this man for the job! Find out why he was not part of the Sheriff’s department future plans. Check into his history with subordinates. He talks a good game, but it is all about him!