CSUF mammoth display unveiled for Homecoming Week

In News
(Rick Pinon Delgado / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton’s woolly mammoth installation, now named the Fully Mammoth was officially presented Wednesday at the Titan Student Union Chapman Atrium for the university’s Homecoming Week.

Students and staff filled the hallway outside of the atrium to hear speakers talk about the history of the fossil and why President of Gregg Drilling & Testing, Inc., John Gregg happily donated a piece of history to CSUF.

Since the date of installation, Gregg had not seen the fossil finalized until the reveal celebration where he said he is happy to see the university completely accept his donation.

“It’s really nice. They’ve embraced it completely and I think even more than I thought they would. They’re owning it and they’re branding it, and it’s going to be part of the culture here and it’s really nice to see,” Gregg said.

Chair of the TSU Board of Trustees Jared Hill explained that the board really wanted to be inclusive of the students and departments on campus when considering the fossil’s name.

Through surveys and Twitter polls, the board of trustees finalized three potential names: Tatum the Titan, Morgan the Mammoth and the Fully Mammoth. Between the three contenders, the Fully Mammoth reigned supreme after receiving 53 percent of the votes.

The Fully Mammoth has already impacted Fullerton’s programs and themes. The final weeks of the fall 2017 semester have been dubbed Mammoth Study a week dedicated to all night studying that will preside within the TSU Pavilions.  

There is excitement around how the fossil could impact student academics and studies, as it brings new attention to paleontology, a subcategory of geology, said CSUF Geology Club President Adrian Escobar.

It’s a means for us to recruit and to get people genuinely interested, even if they don’t want to join the department. They can still visit the department. We can take them on tours and show them around,” Escobar said.

Gregg said that his donating experience with the mammoth has him pondering the potential of future installation contributions.

“There is a few other things that I think they might be interested in sitting in here too so we’re talking about those now,” Gregg said.   

Illustration of student buying food

California proposing financial aid to food insecure students

The number of food-insecure students has been rising across college campuses throughout the nation due to rising tuition costs

Kanye West raps while three sillhouettes of women labeled with slang look over their shoulder in scorn.

Rappers Kanye West and the late XXXTentacion promote misogyny

It’s a troubling reality that most rappers still have a thriving career. From their seemingly flagrant misogynistic behaviors to

A graphic showing the steps to take in the event of an active shooter

Active shooter drills at Cal State Fullerton

September is National Preparedness Month at Cal State Fullerton, which encompasses everything from fire, earthquake, hurricane and active shooter