Titans lose to Georgia despite scoring heroics from Kyle Allman

(Courtesy of ESPN)

Following a 64-57 Thanksgiving loss to Georgia in which he scored a season-high 34 points, Titans guard Kyle Allman was thankful for the teammates that allowed him to have so much success.

“My teammates just found me in the right spots and I was able to knock down shots. I was confident in my shot,” Allman said.

Allman gave the Bulldogs extra helpings of buckets right from the jump, scoring a team-high 14 points on 4-7 shooting in the first half.

Georgia made a run to close the gap towards the end of the first half, however, a buzzer-beating three from Austen Awosika gave CSUF a 27-21 lead heading into halftime.

The Bulldogs came out in a full court press that initially disrupted the Titans’ flow to start the second half, but Allman kept answering back, his dribbles lulling defenders to sleep like tryptophan as he went back to the basket for seconds, thirds and fourths.

By the time it was over, Allman had 34 points, the fourth-highest scoring game in the history of the Wooden Legacy Tournament.

Allman said it was “about time” he got going.

“The games previous I wasn’t making shots and I started making shots,” Allman said.

Allman couldn’t stop the Bulldogs by himself though, as Georgia battled back to take it’s first lead of the game, 40-39 and put the clamps on from there, outscoring CSUF 24-18 the rest of the way.

Bulldogs star Yante Maten got going after a 2 point first half to score a team-high 13 in the second and lead Georgia to victory.

While Maten got help, Allman’s scoring was the main course for the Titans, and the rest of the box score looked like a Thanksgiving meal without any side dishes, as no other member of CSUF’s roster cracked double-digits in scoring on the evening.

Despite those struggles, Titans Head Coach Dedrique Taylor doesn’t think the Titans need to make any drastic changes to get the rest of the roster going as the season continues.

“I think we’ve got to stay with what we’ve been doing. Continue to move the ball and continue to take care of the basketball,” Taylor said. “We’ve got to find a way to really get Jackson (Rowe) touches and allow him to get himself going.”

The Titans will get their next chance to get Rowe and the rest of their roster going when they play Friday at 6:00 p.m. in their next game of the Wooden Legacy Tournament.