CSUF women’s basketball dominates Concordia 83-58 in exhibition match

While debuting an overhauled roster, Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball dominated the Concordia University Eagles 83-58 in its only exhibition match of the 2017-18 season.

“I know the players. They worked pretty hard to prepare,” said Titans Head Coach Jeff Harada. “We saw some things that we did well. We saw some things that we didn’t do so well. It gives us a good blueprint for next week.”

To tip the match, Titans center Daeja Smith was quick to gather the possession for Fullerton, allowing it to push up its offense on the Eagles and create a 4-0 lead.

As the Eagles found their footing on the court, their ball-hawking defensive pressure forced the Titans into turnovers that allowed Concordia to take a 10-6 lead.

“We can do a little better on communication, especially on defense,” said Titans forward Hannah Thompson. “We didn’t talk very well.”

After regaining momentum, Fullerton netted 13 field goals out of the 34 it attempted in the second quarter, compared to just 8-25 for Concordia. Thompson and guard China Henderson successfully completed all their free throws as well (4-4, 2-2), helping CSUF end the half leading 40-25.

“We executed really well at different times throughout the game,” Thompson said. “We had some players hit some big shots. We had freshmen coming in off the bench and take care of the ball. I just thought it was a good team effort and team win.”

The final two quarters of the game continued with the same intensity as Fullerton widened its advantage. The Titans’ only issue was the numerous fouls and turnovers they made that didn’t bite them against the Eagles, but might against more talented competition.

“We had way too many fouls. We have to be better on defense and not committing fouls and taking care of the basketball, just fixing the little things,” Harada said.

The win left Fullerton eager to get back to practice before its season-opening match against Santa Clara University Nov. 11.

“We’re going to be a lot better, and we’re going to do a lot better. I hope we get this win, and get the next win and the next one after that,” Smith said.