CSUF women’s basketball kicks off season with exhibition match

Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball tips off its season with a home exhibition game Friday Nov. 3 against the Concordia University Irvine Eagles.

This is the first game for Fullerton under Titans Head Coach Jeff Harada.

Joining Harada, are assistant coaches Casandra Renno, Karlie Burris and Charel Allen, along with Nicholas Milan, the director of basketball operations. All members of the coaching staff are in their first year at CSUF.

Harada brought four new players to the program after being named head coach. Third-year forward Hannah Thompson, second-year guard Raina Perez and freshmen guards Triann Thompson and Ashlee Ann will wear Titan uniforms for the first time in their collegiate careers.

Last season, the Titans finished with a 4-25 record overall and a 1-15 record in Big West conference play, in part leading to the dismissal of former Titans Head Coach Daron Park. All four of their wins came in Titan Gym.

Three of the returning players were consistent starters on last year’s team: China Henderson, Daeja Smith and Jade Vega.

Despite losing leading scorer Iman Lathan, the Titans kept their second and third-highest scorers, Smith and Vega. Smith, the team’s center, averaged 11.3 points per game on 49.1 percent shooting while Vega averaged 9.2 points per game as the team’s point guard.

The Eagles are coming off of a 10-16 record from last season with a 8-12 record in the Pacific West Conference. They averaged 72.5 points per game and had a 4-8 record on the road.

The Titans have won their last two exhibition games played at home and will look to add another win to that streak before traveling to Santa Clara for the first of a four-game road trip.