CSUF women’s basketball travels to play in Lady Griz Classic

(Fernando Salazar / Daily Titan)

Before conference has even begun, Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball is two victories away from the same amount of wins it totaled during the entire 2016-17 season.

The team will head to Montana to compete in the Lady Griz Classic, in which the Titans hope to show fans what they’ve been working on, specifically their free throws, box outs and rebounds.

“It’s going to be an emphasis, and defending too,” said Daeja Smith after the Titans’ recent loss to Denver.

Smith’s teammate Jade Vega agreed that “containing people on defense” was a priority as well.

The Titans previously played the University of Montana Lady Griz in the 2016-17 season earning one of their four wins of that season in a 16-point victory.

When the Titans faced the Lady Griz last season, Montana Head Coach Shannon Schweyen found that CSUF was a formidable opponent at home.

It was hard to find an answer to stop them. They’re tough at home,” Schweyen said in a press release. “Unfortunately we couldn’t find a hot hand and get enough stops on D.”

Hosts and reigning champs, the Lady Griz have won the tournament 16 straight times while posting a 67-3 record.

Fullerton will also face another familiar opponent, the Oral Roberts University Golden Eagles in the tournament. Although the Lady Griz currently hold an 0-5 record, the Golden Eagles are 2-3 overall and won their most recent game.

Despite ending its three-game losing streak with a win over Portland, CSUF failed to maintain its momentum and lost its most recent game to Denver. However, Titans Head Coach Jeff Harada is confident in his team’s ability to perform and hopes to inspire more pride in his players.

“It was more on the defensive end of where we need to work on and just have more pride in what we’re doing,” Harada said. “We’ve got a lot to work to do, and I’m confident that we’ll bounce back and have a great week of practice.”