CSUF women’s soccer beats UCI, moves on to the Big West championship game

(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan Stock Photo)

Returning for its sixth consecutive appearance in the Big West Tournament, Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer left the semifinal round of Big West play victorious in a 2-1 rematch against the UC Irvine Anteaters.

A power struggle between the two teams was evident as the first 10 minutes of the period remained shotless. Despite having zero shots, Fullerton continued its aggressive play and earned its first foul seconds after the game started.

In the 31st minute of the match, midfielder Kaycee Hoover completed a pass from forward Atlanta Primus to give the Titans a 1-0 lead.

With the last 15 minutes of the period nearing, the Titans proceeded to keep their defense on a tight line, only allowing  the Anteaters one shot.

Returning for the second period, the Titans kept the same momentum that began the first half of the match. UC Irvine’s Lili Andino forced a close shot on the Titans’ goal, but goalkeeper Morgan Bertsch prevented it from reaching the net, making her first save of the match.

Five minutes later in the 56th minute, Titans forward Maribell Morales extended the lead to 2-0 after a successful finish from a turnover outside the 18-yard line.

Eager to keep the ball rolling, the Titans triumphed through the Anteaters’ defense to rack up seven shots totaling 12 for the whole match.

CSUF held down the advantage but along the way picked up six fouls as opposed to UCI’s two.

The Anteaters’ Sydney Carr saw a last-minute opportunity in the 83rd minute to run through the Titans’ defense and place the ball in the net, switching the score to 2-1.

Fullerton remained unphased after the goal, and held its ground until the final whistle, taking a spot in the championship game of the tournament.

The Titans will face the winner from the Cal State Northridge/UC Riverside match Sunday Nov. 5 at Matador field.

From left to right, Randy Ear, Julia Kong, Milan Le and Lauryn Dang represented Asian clubs at the Q&A panel.

‘Bao’ teaches us the importance of cultural identity and family

A discussion on cultural identity and food was presented at the Diversity Initiatives and Resource Center’s “Bao: Expression of

A photo of Stormtroopers from the 501st Legion in front of the Anaheim Central Library.

AnaCon: Comics and Sci-Fi convention brings ‘Star Wars,’ ‘Game of Thrones’ and ‘Harry Potter’ to life

Stormtroopers walked beside proton-blasing Ghostbusters, but weren’t catching ghosts or fighting the Rebels — they posed for photos alongside

Hank LoForte at the plate for CSUF baseball

CSUF baseball drops midweek matchup against San Diego

A five-run second inning was all the University of San Diego baseball team needed to win as they defeated