CSUF’s LGBTQ resource center informs students on safe sex procedures

(Paolena Comouche / Daily Titan)

The Cal State Fullerton LGBT Queer Resource Center had a safe sex informational table set up on Titan Walk on Tuesday.

Complete with a rainbow flag and an interactive multicolored spinning wheel, the table was set to provide students with LGBTQ-inclusive information regarding safe sex.

“A lot of public schools today still don’t include non-heteronormative sex practices,” said Isaiah Acevedo, the community engagement lead of the LGBT Queer Resource Center.

Acevedo talked about protection methods, how to avoid STDs, consent and common misconceptions about safe sex.

The spinning wheel, meant to grab students’ attention and encourage interaction, featured sex-based questions and scenarios to inspire conversations among students to better educate them about the various topics.

Stephanie Jaramillo, a third-year cinema and television visual arts major, came to the table to support the LGBT Queer Resource Center and take advantage of the educational opportunity it was providing.

“You don’t get this type of education in high school, so I came here as a person that is curious and wants to learn for my own benefit,” Jaramillo said. “It was a really enjoyable experience.”

The LGBT Queer Resource Center, located on the second floor of the Titan Student Union, is one of the five parts of the Diversity Initiatives Resource Center on campus. It provides resources for students and a safe space where students can engage with one another and feel supported by their peers. The center includes a lounge space and study area where students can feel comfortable and interact if they choose.

“It’s like a home away from home … We want students to feel supported and engage with other students, maybe make friends,” Acevedo said.

The center is also equipped with beneficial programs, including identity development workshops, safe space trainings and discussion groups, Acevedo said.

Jaramillo feels very close to the LGBTQ community on campus after discovering the center. She frequents the center to hang out and study.

“It’s a really good environment. It’s really nice and everybody there is so accepting,” Jaramillo said.

The LGBT Queer Research Center will host events in the future, including the World AIDS Day tabling at the end of the month, with hopes of educating students and informing them of the resources the center provides.

Kristin Orloff reads from her book American Wings, Iranian Roots in the Pollak Library on Wednesday evening

Author Kristin Orloff and Reza Abedi of biography ‘American Wings, Iranian Roots’ come to CSUF to share the story of the Iranian defector

CSUF alumna Kristin Orloff said her life was changed after hearing the story of Reza Abedi, a gold-medal winning

Leo Torrez and Caleb Gibson standing next to each other smiling for 'The Importance of Being Earnest' by CSUF

CSUF Theater Review: ‘The Importance of Being Earnest’ delightfully revisits Oscar Wilde’s classic

CSUF’s “The Importance of Being Earnest” lets audiences indulge in Oscar Wilde’s classic, serving up sunny melodrama and mishaps,

Flags are in the background. A silhouette of a soldier faces a person protesting.

OPINION: Israel’s response to weekly border protests was justified

As Israel approaches its 70 years of independence as a democratic Jewish state, it faces a weekly threat from