Osher Lifelong Learning Institute holds third installment of “Tales of a Great University” at CSUF

(Gene Pietragallo / Daily Titan)

The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) welcomed professor of psychology and Dean of the College of Health and Human Development Laurie Roades, Ph.D., for the third installment of Tales of a Great University on Monday morning.

The four-part lecture series began Oct. 10 with the College of Communications Dean Edward Fink, and aimed to offer insight from different college deans on how CSUF can improve the campus and community.

Hosted in the Mackey Auditorium of the Ruby Gerontology Center, Roades lauded the tight-knit nature of the CSUF community.

Before opening the auditorium to questions, Roades explained her observations of the campus to the audience.

“One of the great things about Cal State Fullerton students, regardless of their major, is that our students come from the local community. They come from it, they care about it and they want to better it,” Roades said.

Roades was the former chair of Cal Poly Pomona’s Department of Psychology and Sociology and joined the CSUF staff in 2016.

“I thought the dean did a terrific job. She’s obviously very articulate. She knows alot about her area of responsibility given that she’s only been here a couple of years,” said Ron Osajima, former vice president of OLLI. “There were a number of things that she said that I think we, as an organization could be helpful with.”

The fourth and final Tales of a Great University lecture installment will be hosted by Marie Johnson, dean of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, in Mackey Auditorium at 10 a.m. on Tuesday Nov. 28. Johnson, who joined CSUF in July 2016, is scheduled to speak about the earth’s current environmental state and the importance of natural science education.

A plate of artichoke heart with interesting southern flavors that speak for the restaurant.

Review: Shenandoah restaurant in Los Alamitos has spicy southern food with a twist

Shenandoah at the Arbor looks like a secret garden, hidden in plain sight off of the busy street of

Speak Yo’ Truth gives students a platform for expressing their struggles with poetry

Lights dimmed in the Titan Student Union Underground Pub, setting the mood for Speak Yo’ Truth on Tuesday, an

grey clouds with one lightning bolt coming down and rain

Column: Dealing with climate change anxiety

We’ve always associated existential threats with nature or humankind, and for the first time in history, our two greatest