Recruit Wayne Arnold believes CSUF gives him best chance to reach NBA

(Courtesy of Instagram)

Wayne Arnold is the first recruit to commit to Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball for the 2018-19 season, and he said the decision to join the Titans was easy.

“I chose Fullerton because (Titans Head Coach Dedrique) Taylor is going to put me in the best situation possible to achieve my goal of making it to the NBA,” Arnold said in an email.

Arnold, a three-star recruit listed at 6 feet 2 inches, 170 lbs., is the the seventh-ranked shooting guard and 23rd-best high school recruit in California, according to 247sports.com, a website that ranks high school recruits. The Compton, California product is currently finishing his senior year at Manuel Dominguez High School, where he said he wants to win both the California Interscholastic Federation and State Championships before joining CSUF’s roster.

When he does, his future head coach is eager what Arnold will bring.

“We are very excited to welcome Wayne to the Titan family,” Taylor said in a press release. “He embodies all of the qualities we look for both on and off the court. Wayne gives us elite perimeter shooting, along with great size and an explosive athlete.”

Arnold agreed that he’ll bring perimeter shooting to the Titans as well as “the ability to score from all three levels.” He also said Titans fans should know that he’s “funny,” “outgoing” and likes “to be around people.”

While he’ll be joining a Titans backcourt that features no seniors — basically ensuring that he’ll have to fight hard for minutes as a freshman — he’s confident that he can help the team right off the bat with his ability to score and anything else he can do to get out on the court.

“I’m willing to do whatever it takes to win,” Arnold said.

While the Titans will have to wait a year to find out exactly what Arnold can bring in his freshman season, Taylor is confident his new recruit can contribute.
“I expect Wayne to have a terrific senior year as he continues getting better, so that when he arrives to campus he can step in and compete to have an immediate impact,” Taylor said.

CSUF baseball dropped the first game of the NCAA Fullerton Super Regional to Washington 8-5 Friday at Goodwin Field.