CSUF National Student Speech-Language and Hearing Association to host “Speakeasy” Gala

In Campus News, Local News, News
(Courtesy of CSUF NSSLHA)

Dinner, a bar, live music and a silent auction are just some of the attractions students can expect at the National Student Speech-Language Hearing Association (NSSLHA) of Cal State Fullerton’s Speakeasy Gala on Nov. 17.

The gala will help raise funds for the CSUF Speech, Language and Hearing Clinic and The Center for Children Who Stutter.

“Both of those organizations provide low-cost speech and hearing services for people in the community. So we are raising funds to help them in their effort,” said NSSLHA Public Relations Chair Vanessa Silva.

The silent auction will include tickets to the Huntington Library and an event at Howl at the Moon, a bar and rentable party venue, that is valued at $500.

A health care professional from Stanford and the Keck Medical Center of the University of Southern California will be the keynote speaker for the event.

“She will be talking about millennials in the health care-related field and how they can get involved in leadership,” Silva said.

NSSLHA is an organization that prepares students going into the field of communicative disorders by offering additional learning and networking opportunities.

Many of the services provided at CSUF’s Speech, Language and Hearing Clinic include voice concerns, stuttering, speech, language and cognitive issues that can result from stroke, head injury or neurological diseases. The clinic also helps with training speech pathology students.

“We’re looking for it to be an interdisciplinary opportunity for students from different health care-related fields,” Silva said.

The gala is open to all members of the campus and local community who are over the age of 18. It will be held at the Memories ballroom in Whittier at 7 p.m. with tickets priced at $80 for one or $150 for two.

“We’re hoping it will be a fun and celebratory event,” Silva said.

Kyle Allman Jr. attempts jump shot

CSUF guard Kyle Allman named Big West player of the week

CSUF men’s basketball guard Kyle Allman Jr. was named Big West player of the week for the fourth time

The nightlife in Dotonbori features fluorescent lights, street food vendors and local bars.

Column: Two brothers reunited in Japan

When I woke from my nap, my body was still strapped to the coffin-like dimensions of my seat. The

A photo of transfer student Julian Serrano in front of Cal State Fullerton sign.

Column: From a Mt. San Antonio Mountie to a CSUF Titan

At the age of 17 I began my first semester at Mt. San Antonio College. I recall feeling overwhelmed