CSUF Practical Advantage Communications wins MarCom award

(Courtesy of Eren Leal)

Practical Advantage Communications, a student-run advertising and public relations agency on campus, won a MarCom Award for its spring 2017 campaign proposal for the city of Anaheim.

“I’m proud of my fellow classmates that were able to produce this work so we could win this award,” said PRAD Art Director Ida Johnson.

Presided over each year by the Association of Marketing and Communication professionals, 2017 marked the first year PRAD won a MarCom Award, which includes a trophy and a certificate.

The award honors communication firms that show creativity within the industry, according to MarCom’s website. PRAD received the gold award – the second highest honor of the MarCom Awards – for creating a planning book for the city of Anaheim.

The planning book aimed to help increase efficiency in how Anaheim’s human resources interacted with employees. The student agency also helped rebrand the department by redesigning logos and improving how information is disseminated between workers.

PRAD also received an honorable mention for its campaign to redevelop the social media presence of CSUF’s Center for Brand Values Communication and Research, as well as its mission statement and website.

The agency began in 2011 as part of the capstone class COMM 474 taught at CSUF’s Irvine campus by communications professor Pete Evanow. Brand Values Communication and Research, advertising, entertainment and tourism and public relations majors have the option to join the agency.

PRAD member Farid Hameditoloui said the class divides 20 students into four groups, who are then given a client to work with. Although they were not part of the Anaheim project, both Hameditoloui and Johnson were on the team that submitted the proposal to the MarCom Awards.

“We looked through all of our campaign proposals, and we thought that was the strongest one,” Hameditoloui said.

PRAD works with new and returning clients. Occasionally, students will be hired by the organizations they worked for in the class after they complete the course, said PRAD copywriter Erendira Leal.

“We have the luxury of having a hands-on experience that you just can’t get from textbooks,” Hameditoloui said.