CSUF men’s basketball extends win streak to four after defeating Portland

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball stretched its win streak to four after it took a 76-66 victory on the road against the University of Portland Pilots.

The game seemed to belong to the Pilots at the start of the first half as they built a 13-point lead.

Although the Titans struggled offensively, only shooting 41 percent compared to the Pilots’ 48 percent, Fullerton’s defense picked up and gave junior guard Kyle Allman a chance to lead with 12 points in the first half, with Khalil Ahmad trailing behind him with 11.

The point gap didn’t last long though, as Portland let the ball slip, giving up 12 turnovers as the clock wound down to bring the score to 33-32 going into halftime.

Returning from halftime, the Titans brought out a new type of heat as they took the lead for the first time in the game.

As the Pilots attempted to take the game back, the Titans continued adding to the scoreboard as they led by 10, their largest lead of the game, almost midway through the second half.

But the momentum didn’t last long.

Fullerton picked up 12 fouls in the second half, allowing the Pilots to close the 10-point gap through free throws.

However, Pilots’ offense and defense struggled to recover and turned the ball over four times in the second half, allowing 18 points off of their 16 total turnovers.

With six minutes left in the second half, the Titans picked up another 10-point lead with Ahmad completing four of his seven 3-point attempts.

Ahmad wasn’t the only one contributing to the lead, as Allman ended the game with 21 points after going six for 10 in field goals and nine for 13 in free throws. Allman also totaled two rebounds and two assists by the end of regulation.

The game began to get chippy as the Titans and Pilots exchanged fouls, with Portland giving up three with four minutes left in the half to give Fullerton another big lead off.

Now with a win percentage above .500, Fullerton will have a chance at stretching its win streak when it travels home to face Utah Valley University Saturday at 6 p.m.

CSUF baseball dropped the first game of the NCAA Fullerton Super Regional to Washington 8-5 Friday at Goodwin Field. In