CSUF soccer programs rake in awards for 2017-18 season

(Katie Alberston / Daily Titan File Photo)

With the 2017 soccer season officially over, the final United Soccer Coaches All-Region honors were presented to both Cal State Fullerton men’s and women’s soccer teams.

Three Titans from the women’s team were given the accolade for their individual contributions this past season.

Midfielder Kaycee Hoover made the second all-region team while forwards Nano Oronoz and Sarah Fajnor represented Fullerton in the all-region third team.

Hoover scored the game-winning goal in the shootout round of the Big West Tournament championship game that led Fullerton to its fourth conference title in the past five years.

All-Big West First-Team honorees Oronoz and Fajnor were key contributors to the Titans. Oronoz, a forward turned defender, held the defense together which helped goalkeeper Morgan Bertsch maintain a .75 goals against average throughout the season.

Fajnor, a Big West Player of the Week, tied for third in the Big West for goals (6), but her five assists gave her the second-highest point total for the Titans (17).

The Titans ended their season with an overall record of 12-6-4  and claimed their seventh championship title and their eighth appearance in the NCAA tournament.

Fullerton men’s soccer also earned several achievements in its season with forward Samuel Goni and midfielder Ross McPhie being awarded United Soccer Coaches All-Far West third team.

After returning from an ACL injury this season, Goni led the Titans in points (19) and with nine goals, which ranked third in the conference. He was also recognized for his second All-Big West First-team honor.

Also making the first team in the Big West Conference, McPhie’s performance also led to him receiving the Big West Co-Midfielder of the Year award.

Fullerton ended with the a co-Southern Division title, its third Big West Championship title in the past four years, and its 10th appearance in the NCAA tournament.