CSUF women’s basketball loses to Idaho in fourth straight defeat

(Bailey Carpenter / Daily Titan File Photo)

The Idaho Vandals outscored the Titans 19-9 in the first quarter and never looked back, ultimately rampaging past CSUF in an easy 80-60 victory.

Idaho guard Taylor Pierce, who led the Vandals with 27 points, was absolutely unstoppable right from the start, cashing her first nine shots — all threes — to help the Vandals jump out to a 48-23 halftime lead that the Titans wouldn’t come anywhere close to touching.

The entire Vandals roster was on fire, canning 73.3 percent of its 3-pointers in the first half before finishing the game shooting 62.5 percent from behind the arc.

The Titans, meanwhile, couldn’t have been colder if they’d walked outside into the harsh Idaho winter. CSUF shot just 38.6 percent from the field and 20 percent of 3-pointers.

Fullerton could’ve survived its terrible shooting night had it been able to take care of the ball or defend, but the team wasn’t able to do much of either against Idaho.

The team gave up wide-open threes from all over the floor and blew rotations to allow easy Vandals’ layups, all while coughing up the ball nine times in the first half then cleaning up their act to finish the game with 11 turnovers.

One of the few bright spots for the Titans was the continuing solid play of center Daeja Smith, who played well enough over the weekend to earn a spot on the Lady Griz Classic all-tournament team.

Smith continued her solid run of play against Idaho, leading the Titans in scoring with 19 points and nine rebounds to narrowly miss out on her third straight double-double.

But Smith’s work alone couldn’t fight off the Vandals, and no other members of the Titans’ roster shot above 50 percent in the game.

The loss was the Titans’ fourth straight defeat, a streak the team will look to end when they return home to host Antelope Valley on Saturday at 6 p.m. in Titan Gym.

Art student captures social stigmas of men in photo series for ‘Collectively Here’ exhibit

Isolation, substance abuse, body image and grief make up stories untold by four people through black and white photographs