Malia Obama doesn’t require a squeaky clean resume but everyday citizens do

(Courtesy of Wikimedia)

Recent outcry over former first daughter Malia Obama,19, has celebrities and political figures tweeting away for the privacy of Obama and her youthful antics. But what isn’t being addressed is the idea that clearing a teenager of these actions online under the guise of “being a kid” isn’t acceptable.

Being the daughter of the former president brings with it a certain social standard that may oftentimes impede one’s personal life. While Obama should be left alone in her private life as a young adult, she should be aware of the repercussions of her actions.

For one, a college student should know that having one’s public image displayed on this level is not helpful when trying to get a job.

Obviously, being the daughter of the former leader of the free world is better than lathering a resume in gold flakes, but that doesn’t mean people should see Obama’s actions as OK.

Just because the public saw her go to Harvard and intern at lucrative places, it doesn’t mean that her being so open about her life on social media is a good thing. You might smoke weed, but you’re not the daughter of the former president.

While Obama likely isn’t worried about future employers, those exonerating her of her actions might want to take a second look at how these videos and pictures are seen by the public.

Obama has received an unnecessary amount of criticism and backlash from the media after videos and pictures have gone viral online of her smoking, partying and making out with a boy at a college tailgate: Basically being a college student.

Though her last name might be enough to get her a job anywhere, it’s important to remember that employers care about a professional profile when looking to find the best hire.

College students are constantly reminded to keep a clean slate on social media because of the effect it could have on obtaining a future job. One in three employers have rejected applicants based on something that they have found on their social media accounts, according to a study by Staff.com, a time tracking and time analytics software website.

While Obama is a rare exception and her social media choices do not affect her career, millions of college students do not share that same luxury.

When anyone posts on their social media platforms, they should be ready to receive and even respond to a critique from their employers about it. Posts that show excessive drinking or use of illegal substances could be something that deter a person from achieving the job they want.

Ivanka Trump and Chelsea Clinton showed full support for Obama’s rightly deserved privacy regardless of the coverage or public distaste for her actions. However, much like Obama, their personal actions are not as scrutinized by employers in the same manner as everyday citizens. Ninety-two percent of employers use social media during the hiring process today, with 78 percent of those recruiters rejecting ideas of the use of illegal substances, according to Staff.com.

All of these actions would hurt any other individual who can’t say that their father was the president of the U.S., and Obama should be reminded that her actions may perpetuate unrealistic leniency with social media posts. Her privacy is beside the point, it really comes down to the importance of maintaining a professional network online.

Chances are, when an employer receives her application and reads “Malia Ann Obama” at the top, they won’t need an internet search to look her up, but that won’t erase her social media history.

Instead of allowing the celebrities and political figures of the world absolve Obama for all her teenage adventures, it should be known that not everyone has Secret Service watching their every move. Essentially, she’s an Obama.

Freshman forward Aimee Book attempts a free throw at the line during CSUF women's basketball overtime loss against Santa Clara University.

CSUF women’s basketball defeated in close game against Santa Clara University

CSUF women’s basketball looked set to capture its third win of the season on Monday night against the Santa

CSUF athletics logo

CSUF athletics signed 17 athletes on National Letter of Intent Day

This story was updated on Nov. 20 at 5:37 p.m. to include the latest signing.  CSUF athletics officially entered the

Khalil Ahmad rests with his hands on his knees on the sidelines during CSUF men's basketball game against UC Irvine on Feb. 3.

Khalil Ahmad named Big West player of the week for CSUF men’s basketball

Khalil Ahmad recieved Big West player of the week honors for his performance during the Myrtle Beach Invitational for