Cal State Fullerton women’s indoor track and field starts season with high ranks

(Courtesy of Cody Lane)

Cal State Fullerton women’s indoor track and field hit the ground running after competing in the Lumberjack Team Challenge in Flagstaff, Arizona hosted by Northern Arizona University.

Having a mostly experienced team, the Titans came to compete with only 10 newcomers for this season. Of the 17 members of the team that competed in the Lumberjack Team Challenge, only four were freshmen.

Titans old and new went on to claim top spots in the competition.

2017 Triple Jump Big West Champion senior Laura Hamann collected another triple jump victory that went on to be a focal point of the meet. Hamann dominated and won the triple jump competition with a mark of 38 feet 3.5 inches (11.67 meters). This mark also served as her new personal best. Her previous personal best, 36 feet 10.25 inches (11.23 meters) was made at the 2017 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championships.

Freshman Iesha Hamm claimed her first collegiate high jump victory clearing 5 feet 7 inches (1.70 meters). Hamm nearly broke the indoor school record of 1.71 meters set in 2015.

CSUF continued to excel, placing in the top 10 of multiple events.

The Titans took fifth place in the women’s 4×4 relay with a time of three minutes, 57.36 seconds. The relay team consisted of seniors Tyler Hardge and Fanny Giron, junior India Owens and sophomore Mia Franco.

Sophomore Shelby Noble claimed the second spot in the pole vaulting competition after a jumpoff with a height of 11 feet 11.75 inches (3.65 meters). Senior Arielle Williams placed third with a clearance of 3.65 meters. Making her collegiate debut, freshman Mariah Lark placed fifth at 10 feet 6 inches (3.20 meters).

In the 60 meter sprint, senior Tatiana Bell clocked in at a time of 7.77 seconds and took ninth place. Her time was 0.02 seconds short of a new personal best.

CSUF will compete on Friday, Jan. 26 in the University of Washington Invitational in Seattle, Washington.

A girl looking the mirror, on the outside she is smiling but in her reflection she is frowning

Column: Struggling with narrow beauty standards

I have never struggled more with confidence than I have in the past three years. As I’ve gained weight,

Illustration of student buying food

California proposing financial aid to food insecure students

The number of food-insecure students has been rising across college campuses throughout the nation due to rising tuition costs

Kanye west sings with three silhouettes of girls in the background

Rappers Kanye West and the late XXXTentacion promote misogyny

It’s a troubling reality that most rappers still have a thriving career. From their seemingly flagrant misogynistic behaviors to