Cal State Fullerton announces new University Police chief following nationwide search

Raymund Aguirre has been selected as the new police chief at Cal State Fullerton following a nationwide search; he will take the position March 1.

Aguirre has served as the chief of police at the San Diego Community College District, which has approximately 130,000 students, for four years.

He began his career as an officer at the Palo Alto Police Department and went on to serve as chief for the San José-Evergreen College District for more than eight years.

He holds a master’s degree in public and international affairs and an advanced certificate in Asian studies from the University of Pittsburgh. Aguirre received a Bachelor of Arts in sociology from the University of the Philippines.

In December 2017, Aguirre presented to board members, students and faculty at CSUF about his potential plans for the University Police Department. He commended the work of University Police and the CSUF community.

“I think this campus is better prepared than a lot of other campuses I am familiar with, and that’s a testament to the professionalism of the University Police and the openness and willingness of the staff and faculty,” Aguirre said during his candidacy presentation in the fall.

He emphasized building a strong relationship with the campus community and established his plans for campus turmoil and active shooter situations.

“What’s key is reaching out to the campus community, staff, faculty and especially students, and making them comfortable with broaching issues,” Aguirre said.

In an email to faculty, Danny C. Kim, vice president and chief financial officer for administration and finance, thanked the search committee for its efforts. The committee was chaired by Tonantzin Oseguera, associate vice president of Student Engagement and included leaders from student affairs, as well as Mike Lane, the chief of police for the University of California, Riverside.

“As the Chief of Police, Mr. Aguirre will be directly responsible for providing leadership for CSUF’s University Police Department’s operations of a fully empowered professional police force in protecting the university community through a comprehensive public safety program,” Kim said in the email.

Aguirre’s official swearing-in ceremony will take place March 16, and more details will be provided in the coming days, according to the email.