Cal State Fullerton events celebrating Black History Month to culminate in reception for President Fram Virjee

(Anita Huor / Daily Titan)

The African American Resource Center at Cal State Fullerton has begun its celebration of Black History Month, partnering with campus clubs to create student-centered events.

“(Black History Month) has been a combination of a lot of different events that tells black history from a perspective where we all can be invited and included in,” said resource center Director Trimaine Davis.

Kicking off the month was the annual Why I Love Black Women reception dinner held in the Titan Student Union hosted by Alliance for Preservation of African Consciousness. Black women from universities across Southern California were honored for their community involvement.

“We feel like they’re one of the most underappreciated or marginalized demographics,” said James Leassear, African American Resource Center community engagement lead.

The male equivalent, Thrones of Pharaohs, will recognize black men on Feb. 16. The event will be be hosted by Sistertalk, a club which focuses on the empowerment of black women on college campuses.

For the remaining Mondays in February, the African American Resource Center will show screenings of the ‘70s crime drama “The Spook Who Sat by the Door” and biographical drama “Fruitvale Station,” about a young black man who was killed by police in 2013.

Other upcoming events include a talk on appreciating black identity, study abroad opportunities and a graduate student panel.

The month builds up to the annual Black History Month President’s Reception hosted by Fram Virjee on Feb. 22. Actress Misty Monroe will perform her one-woman show “Unapologetically Black,” at the Clayes Performing Arts Center which explores her identity as a woman of color.

The reception will also feature speeches from faculty members to show support for CSUF’s black students.

“It’s important to have that type of support from faculty that look like you, especially when it’s not so common to see black faculty members at universities,” Leassear said.

This is a photo of a girl who is talking in a microphone to an audience.

Purple Tea Party fundraiser raises awareness on epilepsy

With a personal connection to epilepsy, the current high school Miss California, Grace Edwards, created Talent for Epilepsy, a